Home Buying in Midwood>Question Details

Jen R, Other/Just Looking in Park Slope, Brooklyn,...

what are the property taxes in midwood, brooklyn?

Asked by Jen R, Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY Sun Oct 7, 2007

Answers

2
David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin’s answer
Hi Jen,

The property taxes vary and much of it is based on size, improvements made on a particular home, zoning, or whether the home is a one family or multi family. We live in Brooklyn and pulled up 4 examples from the MLS.

I found a 3 family short sale which is 19 x 47 ft., with a lot size of 19 x 106. The property taxes on that home are $3,840 and the zoning is R5.

Next, there is a one family, 20 x 33 ft., lot size 20 x 105, zoned R 4 with annual taxes of $3,175.

The third is a one family, 16 x 40 ft, lot size 21 x 100., zoning is R 4-1 and the taxes are $2,988.

Our own listing in Midwood is a one family zoned for an extension. Our home is 20 x 60 ft., lot size 20 x 77, zoned for R5b.

It's a good idea to check out the NYC Zoning handbook which will give you more information about the classifications. Here is the link:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/pub/zonehand.shtml

Also you can Google specific codes such as "New York City zoning" AND 'R-6", if you happen to know the zoning for the property you are interested in. Any realtor can get you this information either from the listings on the MLS or from Realist.com, which has the tax records. If you are looking in Midwood, feel free to contact us because we do alot of work in that area.

Hope this is helpful!

Bonnie & David
Hey there! Taxes in Brooklyn are notoriously low for what you are buying. Since Brooklyn is still part of NYC you do not find the high taxes of similar areas in Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk). There is no way for me to pull up your property taxes without an address, or at least a block. However, if YOU know the address you can always check out propertyshark.com they have tax information for almost every property in NYC, it is usually right on.

I live near Midwood in a large 2 Family home over 3K of living space, and my taxes are around 3K a year.

Taxes can vary also depending on when the last time the home as was assessed. When I first bought it my taxes were around 1,300/year.