Home Buying in Danbury>Question Details

jenn737, Home Buyer in Danbury, CT

what are the advantages of buying a condo or townhouse vs a home in danbury?

Asked by jenn737, Danbury, CT Sun Jan 20, 2013

Ray Poppe’s answer
Hi Jenn,
I work with many 1st time buyers and each of them has different wants and needs. I usually suggest to my buyers who are just getting into the market and have no children that a Townhouse/Condo may be the way to go. It gives you more free time to go out and enjoy your life whether it is dining, dancing, walk in the park or a trip to the beach. Owning a house does take up more of your time. You can of course hire someone to do the work for you on the house but you still have to deal with finding a painter, landscaper, snow plow, etc. I sold close to 30 homes this past year in the Danbury area most of them 1st time buyers and I would say, by a slight margin, Townhouses/Condos were the winner.
I'd be more than happy to give you more information on the pros & cons just give me a call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 21, 2013
I think it's all about personal preference. Do you want something low maintenance where you don't have any lawn care or have to shovel snow? Are you single or married? Kids or pets? What can you afford? Condos and town homes tend to be cheaper than single family homes. It used to be that single family homes had greater appreciation, and were the better investment over the long term. But, The market has changed single the bubble burst. Now condos and town homes are pretty good investments, especially if you turn it into a rental.
Hi Jen, the advantages of a condo or townhome vs a single family home can be little to no maintenance, lower cost of energy bills sometimes, lower price point sometimes, amenities like pools, gyms, clubhouses, playgrounds, etc. Condos or townhomes can also be ideal rental units down the road if you decide to move on to a single family home.
Hi Jenn737, There are other landscaping ideas for homeowners that despise yard work. I have seen, rocks, cement, mulch, sand, stones, bricks, you name it for a yard. Possible disadvantages of condo's and townhouses is the the HOA/Condo fees and a little less privacy.
Do you like to garden,Do you like to cut the grass,Do you mind shoveling? These are a few things you have to ask yourself to get to your answer.
Web Reference: http://kimsantoro.com
We can discuss your objectives at your convenience.
Ed Reynolds
REMAX Right Choice
It really depends on what your goals are. I would suggest speaking with a realtor. If you don't have a realtor, ask a trusted friend or family member for a referral.
You will also find that you can get more, newer square footage for the same price. The townhouses which have been built in the last ten years offer many of the options you would look for in a new luxury home. For the same price you will be purchasing a much older single family home.

In a townhouse, you will pay a common charge for exterior maintenance, insurance, garbage pickup, sometimes water and sewer charges, and management of these services. If you own your own single family home, you can choose which jobs you do and which you hire out. In the end, the costs are not significantly different.

You have your own yard and the privacy it might provide in a single family home. In a townhouse you have less privacy, but you may have a pool, tennis courts, clubhouse and exercise facility available.

There are many personal preferences for you to consider. Contact me and I can show you some comparisons of proeprties that might help you as you make your decision.
Warren Schutt - RE/MAX Unlimited Real Estate 203-733-1323 warrenschutt@realtor.com
The Danbury area offers many condo/townhome choices. The greatest advantage is you leave the bulk of the outside maintenance to someone else and you can choose a complex that has amenities including pool, clubhouse, workout rooms, walking trails etc. Condos tend to be priced lower per sf than single family homes as well. Condo living also affords social opportunities that can be harder to begin in a single family neighborhood.
Be sure to weigh in common charges, taxes and have a look at the financial statement of the complex ahead of time to be sure lenders will lend and at what percentage down.
If you'd like any specific information - give me a call or write -
203-300-2332 - joneill@wpsir.com

Jean O"Neill
Wm. Pitt Sotheby's Int'l. Realty
112 Federal Road
Danbury, CT 06811