Home Buying in Alexandria>Question Details

Maria Martin…, Home Buyer in Millbrae, CA

what are property taxes in Alexandria,,VA?

Asked by Maria Martinez, Millbrae, CA Thu Feb 20, 2014

Answers

6
I hope that I was thorough in my answer to your original post, 2/20/2014. Yes, property taxes due rise and fall depending on the assessment factors. As a home owner in multiple states, I have been on both sides of the rising and falling of property taxes.

If you have any questions regarding real estate anywhere in the Northern Virginia or North Carolina, please don't hesitate to call or email me.

Diana Watson
Avery-Hess, Realtors
910-728-3003
dwatson@averyhess.com
Real estate taxes are calculated by multiplying the property's assessed value by the real estate tax rate. On May 6, 2013, the City Council set the real estate tax rate at $1.038 per $100 for the tax year beginning January 1, 2013. For example, in tax year 2013, the real estate tax on a residence assessed at $200,000 is $2,076($200,000 x 2013 tax rate of $1.038 per $100).

Real estate taxes are billed and payable in two installments. The first tax bill is mailed in May and is due by June 15. The second tax bill is mailed in October and is due by November 15.
This is as thorough of an answer as you can possibly get. I have lived here all my life and the one thing I find is that if tax rates fall, then the assessed value of the property goes up. If the property assessment goes up, then you "might" see a small adjustment in the rate downwards. In other words, either way, they get you and it is not inexpensive. For instance, we own a 3100 sq ft. town home in Old Town, Alexandria and our taxes are roughly $9,000/year. Conversely, we are looking to move south and our taxes would be half that for the same amount of square footage and a much bigger piece of ground.
Flag Fri Feb 28, 2014
Fairfax county is 1.085 per $100 assessed value
Real estate taxes are billed and payable in two installments. The first tax bill is mailed in May and is due by June 15. The second tax bill is mailed in October and is due by November 15. (Sample Real Estate Tax Bill)
If taxes are included in a property owner's mortgage payments, the City will bill the bank or mortgage company for taxes due. Any property owner whose taxes are not paid through a bank or mortgage company who does not receive a tax bill should contact the Treasury Division. The property owner is still responsible for paying the tax before the due date. Failure to receive a bill does not relieve a tax payer from payment of the tax, penalty and interest.
Potomac Yard Special Tax Districts
City Council has established two special tax districts (Tier I and Tier II) to help finance the redevelopment of the Potomac Yard Area.
The "Tier I Special Services District," which City Council approved in December of 2010, encompasses North Potomac Yard (Landbay F) as well as Landbays G, H and the multi-family portion of Landbay I. Beginning in calendar year 2011, Tier I properties are assessed a tax of $0.20 per $100 in assessed value in addition to the City's base real estate tax rate (for a tax rate of $1.238 per $100 in calendar year 2013).
The "Tier II Special Services District" encompasses all of Landbay I not in the Tier I District and all of Landbay J. In general, the Tier II District is the southern part of Potomac Yard not including the development sites south of the Monroe Avenue Bridge and excluding Potomac Greens. Beginning in calendar year 2016, Tier II properties will be assessed a tax of $0.10 per $100 in assessed value in addition to the City's base real estate tax rate.
https://www.alexandriava.gov/PotomacYardPlan
Diana Watson
Avery-Hess, Realtors
910-728-3003
dianawatson.averyhess.com
The tax rate for the City of Alexandria is $1.038 per $100 of the assessed value. If the property has a postal address of Alexandria and is located in Fairfax County, the tax rate is $1.085 per $100 of the assessed value. Both jurisdictions are assessed annually and the taxes are based on 100% of the assessed value. Hope this is helpful.
Maria

Are you referring to a particular house? I cannot tell you what the taxes are without a reference to a particular home.

Kathy Stark
Weichert, Realtors
703-201-9656
kstark@weichert.com