Home Buying in Keaau>Question Details

Trudy.r, Home Buyer in Keaau, HI

what about vog in this area?

Asked by Trudy.r, Keaau, HI Fri Feb 22, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3005858553-16-1583-40th-Ave-K…

Answers

3
Hi I bought a piece of property in HPP on Beach road, I am planing to build a house and rent it as a vacation rental for a few years before I move back to Hawaii. I heard some story from people I know they told me the area is unsafe also if I let the rental management take care for me th
rent it to some people and ( pocket the money) since they know I'm not living on the Island. Could that be true? and should I build the house now knowing that I not be in Hawaii for the next couple of year?

Thank you for your advice!

Thao
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 2, 2013
Aloha Thao! I don't recommend you build a rental house unless you live nearby. There are just too many variables of problems that could happen with poor tenants, poor management, and wear and tear on your new home. Consider waiting till you will be building for your personal use.
Flag Tue Sep 17, 2013
Aloha. I lived in HPP before moving to Oahu. VERY high crime as it relates to theft. I would be careful what you furnish the home with and who you use to manage it.
Flag Sat Jul 20, 2013
Aloha!

Vog is the volcanic haze that is carried downwind from the two erupting sites in Volcano National Park. Right now both sites are releasing some emissions, but it can change daily so it is best to consult with the experts at Volcano National Park. Since the trade winds are flowing from east to west most of the time, the vog is flowing toward Kau District and away from the Puna District. Even South Kona and Captain Cook can be covered with vog when the emissions are heavier. A few days out of the winter months, the wind will flow from the northwest and Puna could have a few days of vog.

I am Hawaii island resident for 28 years with many visits to Volcano National Park and surroundings! I am living in the Keaau area which is in the Puna District.
No vog BTW. Kona gets most of the vog.