Home Buying in Punta Gorda>Question Details

shellym, Home Buyer in Toronto, OH

we are thinking of buying in Lake Rio Townhomes. The subdivision is Deep Creek in Punta Gorda. We are placing

Asked by shellym, Toronto, OH Wed Apr 23, 2008

an offer site unseen so any advise one the area would be great

Answers

18
Deep Creek is a nice deed restricted area but I would never advise anyone to buy property sight unseen unless the buyer is familiar with the area and the REALTOR they have been working with understands their needs and desires very well. Have you been to Punta Gorda and how did you find the property you wish to put an offer on?
Web Reference: http://www.Charlottecounty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 23, 2008
Becky, there are currently 2 townhomes listed for sale in the MLS. One is listed for $69,500 and the other is way off base and has been listed for 5+ years for $159,900. If you are looking to work with an agent, I would be happy to help you!

Mary Dick, Realtor
REMAX Anchor Realty
Punta Gorda, FL
Does Lake Rios Townhouses have an office onsite? I am interested in buying one of the townhouses. Does anyone have one for sale?
Lake Rio Is a great area. We have owned a townhome at Lake Rio for 5 years. Unfortunately, we lost our business a few months ago and so we are short - selling our unit. If anyone is looking for a great unit, on the lake, with an extended Lanai and tastefully decorated, $55,000 will take it. We currently have an offer under consideration that is close to that, so if you want it, you will have to act immediately as we intend to answer the current offer by Wed, August 25, 2010. If you are serious about buying, you can respond here and I will give you the name and # of our realtor in Punta Gorda. ALH
Shellym,

I would advise you to move forward slowly. If this is indeed a "great" deal, I would at the minimum put a clause in the contract that allows you to see the property within so many days to determine whether it is suitable for your needs. If you do that, you should also allow the Selling agent to keep the property on the market with a 48 hour kick-out clause.

There are a lot of lovely areas in the Port Charlotte area that might better suit your needs. If you would like to talk over your options, give me a call or e-mail me.

Mary Dick, Realtor
RE/MAX Harbor Realty
941-676-1035
marydicksells@comcast.net
http://www.MaryDick.com
Web Reference: http://www.marydick.com
Well if anyone is still interested there is a unit for under $40,000. Hurry while it is still available.

Paul Wadsworth
Real Estate Broker
Waterfrontguy1@hotmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.4cchomes.com
Shellyn,

Did you end up buying a condo in Deep Creek? How did it work out? If not you can browse my website for local information and pictures of the area.
Shellym,

Unless you have a very reliable friend, relative, or acquaintance to serve as your eyes we recomment you take a quick trip here to preview it for yourself. It's just too much of a gamble.

The "Eckler Team"
If I can assist you with any financing questions please give me a call. I have programs that only need 3% down with rates in the mid 5% range. Please let me know if I can help.
Ryan
888-271-2221 ext 203
Beware buying sight unseen. I know which condo you are looking at in Deep Creek. The second floor is probably frame and they sustained damage from hurricane Charley. Someone mentioned Charlotte Square, they are very small, dark, and low ceilings. There are many "brand new" condos in Deep Creek around $99k that have never been occupied. And they have covered parking. Lake Rio Townhomes does not.
Paul Wadsworth
Shellym,

There appears to be two issues of concern. First buying "sight unseem" second buying for someone else. You must have a wonderful relationship with your mother.

Unless there are circumstances that required a hurried purchase, your best advice is to make a trip with your mother for the specific purpose of looking a real estate possibilities. In doing so you will have effectively removed both of the preciously mentioned obsticles.

Only an agent despirate for a sale would allow a customer to buy under these conditions.

Be patient........

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
100 W. Venice Ave Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363
Another area for your consideration would be Charlotte Square, a group of complexes off the Trail near Harbor Boulevard. They are all within one block of the Cultural Center which has its own calendar of activities/events/classes specifically targeted to retirees. Medical facilities are also very close if that is a concern. We will also echo the sentiments of the previous responders in recommending that you select a Realtor to work for you.
Web Reference: http://www.KRolland.com
Thank you so much for the quick replies. There is much to think about and review when moving. She has wanted to move to FLA for some time, and it seems the stars are linning up a little. Home prices are down, the CDN dollar is at Parr and she retired.!!!
We believe your mother would be very well informed after she reviews the possibilities in the Forrest Nelson area. Deep Creek is relatively remote itself and, while Lake Rio is readily accessible, Forrest Nelson will present many more options within a closer proximity. It is centrally located in Port Charlotte and most of the complexes have many large trees and very nicely landscaped grounds offering A LOT of quiet and privacy.
Web Reference: http://www.KRolland.com
These Townhomes range in price from $69,900 to $159,900 for essentially the same size units, the only difference being location, location, location (most likely in relationship to the (small) lake). Given that disparity in pricing, purchasing sight unseen is going to entail some risk. Hopefully you have received photos of the particular unit you are purchasing as well as the common areas of the complex and the lake from a source INDEPENDENT OF THE SELLER.
Web Reference: http://www.KRolland.com
have been speaking to an agent in Port Charlotte (I haven't mether just talked on the phone once and by e-mail). I am familiar with Port Charlotte, North Port and Englewood since I have rented property in these areas over the last 10 years for Christmas Holidays. I am familiar with Punta Gorda to the extent of the church, main road, car dealerships, Fisherman's Warf. I have not really taken an active interest in the properties until now.

The house is for my mom, she recently retired, she is still in her 50's and is active. She likes to travel and therefore wants a condo to keep maintenance as easy as possible, and she wants a pool. She is looking for condo's under 70K (Ideally around 50K-55K) and this one fits the bill.

She has been pre-aproved for a mortgage so it's really down to finding the right property.

The photos at Lake Rio looked nice and we thought we could put an offer subject to inspection. The realtor said that there is hole in the living room ceiling and teh carpets need to be changed. The property is currently owned by the bank.

I have read some negative reviews about the Deep Creek Area and don't want her to make a mistake as this is a big move for her.
There are some nice condos listed in Port Charlotte also on Forrest Nelson, does anyone know if this as a more desirable area?

Her attraction to Lake Rio, is that they are town homes, 2 storeys and face the lake.
Thanks for any direction.
Shellym,
Are you working with an agent?
Shellym,
Going into a venture such as this "sight unseen" is very risky business. You might want to make a quick visit to see what you are getting before it's too late.

Do you have a friend of relative that could look at the property before you committ yourself?

There is so many good opportunities out there today it may benefit you to slow down a little.

The "Eckler Team"
Century 21 Almar and Associates
Venice, Fl 34285
ecklerteam@comcast.net
941-408-5363