Home Buying in Kettering>Question Details

Patch1973, Home Buyer in Kettering, OH

we are re-locating to dayton. we know very little about the area. we have visited and seem to like west kettering and oakwood. any advice?

Asked by Patch1973, Kettering, OH Tue Oct 13, 2009

we are a young professional gay couple looking at houses in the 500k to 700k range. resaleability is important. thanks...

Answers

5
To Patch1973,
Although it has been some time since you asked for advice, I would like to suggest that you consider two homes, one on Trails End Dr. and another on Lockerbie. This is a beautiful area of West Kettering, and the homes may fit your criteria nicely. They are priced a bit lower than your price range, I believe. I would be happy to show you around the areas that you are considering on your next trip to Dayton. I live in the West Kettering area, and am quite familiar with both West Kettering, and Oakwood.
Many thanks,
Lisa Arzate
Coldwell Banker Heritage Realtors
(937) 974-3938
Lisa@SellingOhioHomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 29, 2013
I see several mention Beavercreek. The knowledge I have is the property taxes are very high.
I grew up in Kettering, I had an aunt who lived in Oakwood & taught school there for 35 years.
I would not hesitate to reccommend Kettering or Oakwood. My feeling was always Oakwood was a more well to do area but close knit and more quaint charm than Kettering. I attended Kettering schools and received a good, strong, sound education that has served me well.
Maybe you weren't asking but it's my sense that neither have a very large gay community. My brother was gay and left the area due to it's limits. However that was 20 years or more ago. As far as acceptance of your situation - I'd suspect Oakwood would be more accepting. The price range you are looking in, I think you'd do well in either place.
I hope I didn't over step my bounds of what you were asking.
Drexal area East of Dayton would be great
As a native of the Dayton area, I can offer you a unique perspective on the housing market here. Oakwood and West Kettering are very unique communities. They tend to offer a quaint, home town feel like no other area in Dayton. Homes in these area's are typically older, but most have been updated with all the modern convienences that you are probably looking for. In terms of resale, I would say that Oakwood would be a better area than West Kettering. The advantage that Oakwood has is that their school system is rated tops in the state. I have known people that have moved to Oakwood so that they could send their kids to school their and then move once they have completed their education. The other nice thing about Oakwood is that it has a nice downtown area that offers some of Dayton's best restaurants and the best grocery - Dorothy Lane Market. My wife used to live in Oakwood when we were dating and she loved to walk to the grocery, drug store or restaurant. Her hair salon and vet was even located in dowmtown Oakwood.

If neither Oakwood or West Kettering ends up working their are other great communities that you might want to consider, like Washington Twp./Centerville or possibly Beavercreek. These communities don't have the same feel, but do offer newer homes that would most likely meet your needs.

If you would like me to send you more information about any of these communities just let me know and I'll get the information out to you right away. I can also offer you an automated search of homes in any of the Dayton communities that could be emailed to you. Just let me know what your looking for and I can get it set up. Another thing I could do is preview any of the homes that you may have already seen on line to make sure it matches up with your criteria.

I look forward to helping you out with your new home search!
Patch,

Both nice areas... really depends on what you are looking for. Many of the Dayton communities are nice. I live in Centerville personally... Beavercreek is also nice... just depends on what you want. New, old, lots of land, close to the city, etc...

Would be love to offer some additional assistance in the search if you like. We offer community reports and can compare each area, stats, schools, demographics, etc... We offer a very comprehensive package for people relocating to the area and will customize as much as possible to your wants and needs. You can get some free info instantly on the web at http://www.topmarketer.net/CSR/CSReport.aspx?0CX6F0O4BDW7

Let me know if you have any additional questions as well...

The Dayton area offers some great features... There is a great selection of different dining options and the arts are great.... If you like theater I think you will find the theater here to be surprisingly good...

Looking forward to helping if I can.