Lionking, Home Buyer in 99725

we are buying our first home in Lafayette CO , what kind of pest control needed before the house is built ?

Asked by Lionking, 99725 Fri Mar 9, 2012

Hello Lionking!
Excellent answer by J. Andrea Lard.

I'm not aware of any pest control that is performed before a home is built. I was a community sales manager for Engle and Richmond American Homes for six years before coming to PML in Longmont.

On a new build, the builder does barrier wrapping of the outside walls. The insulation in a basement is about a foot thick. The house is thoroughly calked and sealed. Paint offers some protection, too. Watch a home under construction in the early stages, and you can appreciate that it takes a very determined pest to get at any food in a home. But, they find a way.

Commonly, pests hitchhike their way into a new home. Corrugated cardboard offers an excellent place for insect eggs. Tip: Get rid of your boxes after you move.

The good news, as Andrea has noted, is pests from other regions are usually unsuccessful in getting established in a Colorado home.

Native critters adapt or move out to less populated areas (where suburbs are built). The creatures that made a living close to the farm that occupied the property before it was turned over to development are frightened off by the noise and rumblings of construction. Once the construction is gone, they may migrate back for a free lunch left by a picnic table. Field mice, spiders and snakes are animals that adapt well to living with people. If you like cats, cats are notorious for controlling critter populations.

PML of Longmont, CO
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 10, 2012
I am a Colorado native and we never really heard of pest control. The climate is such that all those pests die off in the winter and never have a chance to really get going. However, I lived in Florida and was shocked by the vast array of pests. Fleas, ticks, cockroaches, termites, ants, snakes, mosquitos.... The list seemed never ending. We had to pay monthly for pest service. If you are having a house built, you will want to know about the area. Is it close too fields, etc. I have experienced issues in Colorado with mice, snakes and spiders. And control of these pests are a little different than with say termites or cockroaches. You can always call a pest control company experienced in the area or reach out to neighbors and ask if they have had any issues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 10, 2012
I'm not sure you need to worry too much about pest control before you build. Usually pests come because they're looking for a new place to live, like your new house. A quick inspection should be enough to see if there are any pre-existing pest problems on the lot. However, after you build, it's smart to get inspections done and things to make sure that there are no pest problems. It's a good idea to regularly check your home for pests before the pest problem gets too big to handle. http://www.greenleafpest.com
I am not familiar with needing to get pest control before a house is built. Unless maybe you are referring to making sure that pests don't live directly in the area you plan to build. In my experience it is when they have a place to get away from the cold that they tend to move in. Though any recommendation you get before building could be helpful for after the house is built.
Michael Foster http://www.mgpest.com.au/services