Home Buying in Chapel Hill>Question Details

Barbara Stern, Other/Just Looking in Chicago, IL

we are a a retired couple - we are looking at the villas in Briar Chapel, -are there a significant amount of retired people in this community

Asked by Barbara Stern, Chicago, IL Fri Aug 2, 2013

Answers

5
Licensed Realtors can't answer this question as it's against the law to discuss the make up of any neighborhood. You're going to have to speak to unlicensed people (think residents) or spend a little time there to see the overall composition of the neighborhood. That said, I've sold in this neighborhood and specifically in the Villas section and the builder has specifically designed this product to appeal to those like myself (55+). I think Briar Chapel is a wonderful development and based on my own sales within the community I think it appeals to a wide range of people from graduate students or medical residents at UNC and younger just getting started families to retirees like yourself and everyone in between.
Hello Barbara;
As REALTORS we cannot talk about age groups and many other protected classes (as part of the Fair Housing Act). However, you can look at demographics online. Often, people will look at the style of home being sold to determine if the neighborhood might be more attractive to one age group or another. Clearly, those who are retired are more focused on one-level living and first floor master bedrooms than those with young families. Briar Chapel is a large community with many different home styles and sizes that appeals to many different age groups. In the Villas there are a few different builders who are building homes with no yard work, a community garden, low maintenance exteriors, and energy efficiency. I would be happy to talk to you about the choices out there. However, if you are looking for a true retirement community I have some other suggestions for you. Chapelwood or the two new communities by Del Webb for 55 and older.
Barbara - The triangle has a number of over 55 communities if that is what you are looking for. Briar Chapel is not exclusively over 55. There are some communities that are. I would be happy to show and share with you all of the communities that you might like to consider including Briar Chapel which has wonderful villas that are easy to maintain. The Del Webb community in Cary is another you may like to consider. Let me know if you do not already have a buyer's agent and would welcome seeing all the communities of interest that the Triangle has to offer by a Triangle Native. If you have another other questions feel free to give me a shout.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller,Eco Broker, Realtor, Consultant
Coldwell Banker Advantage
Briar Chapel is the largest green community in the Triangle,, 900 acres of preserved space. It is very much a mixed community of homes and households. I would be happy to send you available homes there , many of which I have recently shown.
Michael
This is a great neighborhood and the Villas have been very popular. The nice thing about Briar Chapel is it has broad appeal to many people as it has different housing options and price ranges.

I can say from personal experience, one of my clients who are empty nesters bought a villa and love it!

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.