Joyce Black, Home Buyer in 20024

was looking at purchasing a home off centenial near Losee. would the pig farm smell be a problem. I have been there several times ,not noticed it

Asked by Joyce Black, 20024 Mon Oct 12, 2009

Answers

8
Come summer time the pig farm is going to smell.
I had a client relocating and checking out rentals in 89084 Near Tropic Wind 89081, There is an odor from the pig farm. This home is between Washburn/Losee. For the best answer drive by and smell for yourself. Windy days are aweful.
PS......Never trust a realitor to tell you the truth....I am serious unless you know them.....the area stinks and property values stay low especially if you plan on doing anything outside.......too many places in vegas to look at...exceptional deal only is what you would have to get in that area
Joyuce I too have been trying to buy home in vegas. I passed on home in same area because of pig fram....when the wind is right ...yeash you smell it...also don't expect property values to go up so unless you get an exceptional deal I would pass
I am still investigating the issue as I have clients who are buying approximately 2 miles east of the pig farm. So far my research suggest you need to be very near to the pig farm for the odor to be apparent and perhaps a problem.

I am told directly there is NO health issue whatsoever and that most are concerned about possible odors.

Further, most that are 2 miles away from the piog farm say that they cannot smell odors hardly at all or never.

So far, odors from the pig farm seem to be more legend and of the rumor variety than truth but I am still checking it out thoroughly.

Louis J. Asmo, REALTOR
Again, as I stated before, I live in the area and the smell can be pretty darn potent at times. And, my friends that just purchased less than a mile from the pig farm, has said the smell is almost constant. I personally would not have bought that house, even though it's beautiful home. I think it would be difficult to host backyard BBQs without complaints. Of course, this is just my opinion...
Hi Joyce,

I have been selling homes off of 5th st/Lossee for like ten years. I have never had an unhappy family.
i was just out that way last weekend, i never smelled anything. They had a pumkin bin that they were taking old pumkins to give to the pigs :) There are some good deals in this area. You can use my website to search. Call anytime..

Paul Arroyo
Merit Realty
702-768-2931
Website: vegashomes247.com
The smell from the pig farm might be an issue. I have a couple of friends who recently purchased a home off of Bruce and Tropic Wind and the smell there is almost constant. They just keep scented candles lit most of the time. However, I live south west of the pig farm (Craig and Commerce) and I smell it only occasionally. My recommendation is to drive down the street and stop and ask anyone you see outside their home if they notice the smell much.