Home Buying in Yardley>Question Details

Dmitry, Home Buyer in 08540

townhouse vs. single

Asked by Dmitry, 08540 Tue Jul 29, 2008

Answers

6
Gita Bantwal ABR/CRS/SRES/CDPE’s answer
Many buyers I work with tell me their budget first and then the township they want for the price. I show the singles and townhomes in the price range and they have to decide if they want a newer townhouse or older single.If they want a newer single we then look at other townships . It all depends on your goals.
The other agents have explained the other factors.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Either can be a great option, depending on your needs and preferences.

Townhomes are, of course, clustered together, so you get to see (and sometimes hear) your neighbors more. That's great if it's a friendly community, not so great if folks aren't conscientious about keeping their environment clean and quiet. The common areas are usually maintained by an association and their may be fees associated with that maintenance. It's a good idea to join the board if you have the time and inclination.

Detached homes give you more privacy and a greater sense of ownership. But with that, comes more maintenance and upkeep requirements. Not a big deal if you enjoy that kind of thing anyway. There is often a lack of amenities such as pools and playgrounds (although some single-detached homes do have these features within the lot or nearby, their owners are commonly required to pay a homeowners fee as those in condos or townhomes). Landscaping and lawn upkeep costs are at the owner's expense.

Hope that helps!
Web Reference: http://BestHomes-Team.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Dmitry,
I think it depends on what your goals are. Do you want a place that's comfortable for you and your family? Do you want a better investment? Do you mind doing maintainance? There are a lot of differences between the two. Please contact me if you have any questions. The very best of luck to you!
Michael

Michael D Delp
Mortgage Pro
4802 Old Bethlehem Pike,
Telford Pa. 18969
Ph- 215-453-1025
Fax- 215-453-1012
Cell- 610-762-0318
michaelddelp@aol.com
michaelddelp@verizon.net
http://www.mortgagepro.instantlender.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Hi Dmitry, How are you? Its really a matter of preference. A townhouse/townhome you are connected and may share parking with neighbors whereas a single family home you have your own driveway or possibly street parking depending on where you are looking to purchase. If in Yardley usually you would have your own drive. Townhomes most have association fees, there are few that do not whereas as a single you wouldn't but actually some single home developments do have a yearly assocation fee. Please call or email me to discuss further. There really are many differences between the two. Thank you, Tammy Smith
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
I assume you're trying decide between purchasing a townhouse vs. a single family home. It really all depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for and how much space you need. With a townhouse you have an HOA, who will take care of the lawn maintenance, snow removal, trash removal, may include a pool and a club house, etc. With a single family home, you get the space, privacy, the backyard and nobody tells you what to do and how to live.

There are pluses and minuses to both, but decided what type of lifestyle you're looking for and go from there.

If you need any help or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Russell Volk
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 29, 2008
Dmitry, I suggest you look at the specifics of each community as even some singles have rules, regulations, common area maintenance similar to town homes. Restrictions can exist in either also. Your life style and budget may also dictate what will work for you ie do you want to spend weekends mowing the lawn or painting ...Conversely do you want someone telling you what color your mail box must be? Do you plan for improvements ie new roof in so many years or do you wake up one day and say "wow I need a new roof" and have no money for it? (unfortunately even some associations do this) Do you like neighbors (I mean up close and personal) or do you prefer them at a distance?
If money is your bottom line, usually singles are priced higher . Princeton is no different.