Home Buying in Portland>Question Details

Ann, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

to buy or not buy the slip on a floating home property?

Asked by Ann, Portland, OR Tue Aug 9, 2011

There is a home for sale for $250,000, the slip is an additional $120,000. Do I want to buy the slip or not?

Answers

7
Buy the slip? Maybe, maybe not. What else can you do with 120K, assuming you have the cash? The slip will save you something like $500 a month, but it's not going to appreciate and could be hard to resell (even though it's 'liquid'), and the return on another investment like stocks, gold, pork bellies or a rental house might generate more benefits. I don't think buying is an automatic decision anymore.
Yes buy the slip. Rents are the unknown when you buy a floating home. You are going to see raises in the rates so this is way to control that. If the owners all own there spots you will have a much better HOA. Tom Inglesby
That is a good question...the next one then being where do you put or keep the home if not?
It sounds like you are looking at the cute floating home in a front slip at Tomahawk Moorage. Buy the slip! This is a great moorage with low HOA fees. The value is there and don't forget that price is always somewhat negotiable. If you rent it, your monthly's go up by $600 a month which is not tax deductible! I live in a floating home and love it! Call me if I can answer any other questions or help you with this property as I live 4 houses away.
Tough call. I lived in a floating home community where the slips were individually owned. The level of maintenance and community cohesion were great and HOAs were low. But 120k is a lot of money, so you have to calculate the trade-offs. Basically, slip ownership makes for a better neighborhood and lower long term costs, when you consider that slip rents can easily run $500 a month, no part of which is tax-deductible.
Yes, if you can. It protects you and provides value. Slip rental fees can rise.
Yes you want to purchase the slip. Slips are limited to purchase in Portland and you want low fees and a good Moorage. Columbia RIdge moorage is a very nice location. Susan Colton
Web Reference: http://www.susancolton.com