Ducam, B. V., Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

this is the first time i like a house presented. however i find the price very high compared to the median in the same area. what is the problem?

Asked by Ducam, B. V., San Francisco, CA Fri Apr 19, 2013

is there a possiblity to have a floor plan of the house, more details about the
conditions of the house, and nearby facilities (nearest airport, shopping, weather
local taxes and transportation etc)

Answers

8
Hi all I purchased a condo in Kona almost a year ago. Here are some things to consider from a non realtor or seller. First HOA dues are higher than in most parts of the US average $500 plus per month, however in some cases you do get something for it, in my case propane for cooking and dryer included, along with basic cable, electricity is stupid high in Hawaii. You will see the words fee simple this means you outright own the property, a very large portion of homes and condos are on leased land so you do not really own, this is usually reflected in price, if the price for a home or condo seems a great deal or low compared to others in the area it is most likely on leased land always inquire with realtor or seller. I spent a lot of time looking for the right property, I found many cases of failed plumbing or ready to go this is common in a humid damp place have it inspected before you sigh on the dotted line, secondly wood rot is a big issue, get the best pest inspection you can find along with an experienced home inspector. I found a great condo one block from the beach for a killer price, how you ask, the HOA is 748.00 per month on a 118,000 purchase however a large part is an assessment for a total refurbishment of wood stairs,railings everything wood exterior, it ends in 2022 so to get the amazing deal I chose to eat it for a few years. There are still great deals to be had find a good realtor sales by owner are few and far between. Be patient everything is done on island time, you know the saying when in room or this case Hawaii do as the Hawaiians do take it easy brudda, Mahalo and Aloha
Aloha,

There are some good answers here from local Realtors on the property variances and resulting prices in our area. One thing to add is that there may be some underlying information about a particular piece of property that the neighbors do not share, such as assessments to the property, internal damage, etc.

Short sales will affect averages down, and some remodels and upgrades could affect prices up. Smaller areas will be affected more severely by these issues (ie: 1 in 10 vs 1 in 1,000)

If you are working with a local realtor they will be able to find additional information not only on a particular property, but also the surrounding areas. Each realtor is an independent contractor so it is in their best interest to help you get the information you need to make a sound decision.

Aloha and happy house hunting.
;-)
Cindy Barnett, R(S), e-Pro
Clark Realty Corporation
Cindy@KonaPacificBlue.com
Should you like to discuss financing options for your Real Estate purchase in Kona, please feel free to contact me to discuss your options.
Janine Bodway - jbodway@acceptancecapital.com or 808-345-3091
Aloha Ducam,

First of all, if you are seriously looking for property in Kona, and want accurate up to date information, you should join my daily email newsletter called the UPdate. The Daily UPdate is a unique service that I developed in 1993 specifically to help people who were planning to move to the Big Island but couldn't find all the information they needed in one convenient format. It includes new listings, price changes and sales for the previous 24 hours of real estate activity and covers land, homes, condos and businesses. You can join from my website: http://www.konarealestateagent.com

Trulia's median price is not a reflection of the market in a particular area. What you need is a Comparative Market Analysis which I can generate and email to you. Please tell me a little about the property, the name of the neighborhood, street address and, if possible, the MLS# and/or TaxKey number.

Yes, if you give me enough information such that I can identify the home I can get floor plans and all the other details you are requesting.

Mahalo, Harry

Harry M. Pritikin R(BIC) Big Island Specialist
Big Island Real Estate UPdates
Broker In Charge at Koa Realty
76-5905 Mamalahoa Hwy., Holualoa, Hawaii 96725
Website: http://www.konarealestateagent.com
FAX: 808-334-1567
24 HOUR CELL: 808-989-3491
EMAIL: trustharry@aloha.net

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truly know peace.
In West Hawaii it is common to have high-end areas adjacent to areas that are quite different. It is just as common to have an individual property adjacent to a widely disparate property. Mansions on acreage next door to coffee shacks, for example.

Please consider contacting an individual Realtor, and communicating your questions to him/her directly. There is all sorts of information the Realtor can provide you -- but it really depends on which particular property caught your eye.

John M. Sevick, RS; Kona Coast Realty Corporation; Kailua-Kona; 808-938-1004 iPhone for voice, text or internet; sevickjohn@gmail.com
You've kind of answered your own question. You said "This is the first time I like a house..." So you didn't like any of the other houses, and they were within the median range? Well, maybe you like this one because it is a cut above the others and, therefore, is priced higher. It sounds like you haven't visited it with a Realtor yet. That would, obviously, be the best way to see how it really stacks up with your idea of the perfect home. How you "feel" when you're walking through a house and driving through the neighborhood, will dictate whether it's worth paying more than planned or negotiating to make it your home. If you're unable to walk through, give a local Realtor a call. They should be able to get more details. Good luck
The Big Island is a unique environment. You can have $5 million dollar houses located across the street from $250,000 homes. You need to evaluate each home on it's own merits.
You mean that you are dissing the PRICE, and you haven't been INSIDE?
i dont understand the word Dissing. i am asking a question since the other
info shown about the median price seem to indicate that the average value of
homes in the same area is around usd 800 000.- i would appreciate some
courtesy as i live in europe and dont know the area otherwise i would not
be asking such questions.
Flag Fri Apr 19, 2013