Kang, Home Buyer in Paramus, NJ

thinking about driving from paramus to Secaucus station in the morning and then taking the train to midtown. How is traffic in the morning?

Asked by Kang, Paramus, NJ Mon Oct 22, 2012

We are looking to buy a home in Paramus and thinking about driving from paramus to Secaucus station in the morning and then taking the train to midtown. How is traffic in the morning? Is this a practical solution?

Answers

3
Disclosure: I'm not an agent but an individual who drives daily from Ringwood to Paramus (via Rt 17 or 208) and then from Paramus to Secaucus for the past 6 years. In case you're wondering where Ringwood is, it's to the North and West of Mahwah.
Two weeks back and around 8AM-8:30AM, Rt. 17 South from Ho Ho Kus area down to Midland Ave was jam packed almost everyday. That was the worst case scenario. Rt 208 at the same time was just as bad. I ended up taking the back road on those days, which shaved several minutes here and there.
Instead of killing yourself in traffic trying to make it to Secaucus station (and then having to find parking in Secaucus), I'd recommend taking the bus from Paramus area to the city directly. There is no need to kill yourself twice over, and you get to relax and get things done while the bus driver fight over traffic.
It might actually be better to consider a commuter parking train stop earlier than Secaucus. You could go from Paramus to River Edge or Hackensack (Essex Street) and park there and take the train. It is an easy transfer from the Pascack Valley Train line to Secaucus to the connecting train into NYC at Secaucus. You could also park and do the same from Ridgewood on the Bergen County Line, which also connects at Secaucus to Penn Station.

Alternatively, my preference is the bus !

For example: The stop at the Bergen Mall for the Bus #168 in Paramus at 7:32am gets you into Port Authority at 8:24am ... and there's no switching ! (and the buses are actually a pretty comfortable ride, you can do some work, listen to music or tak a nap !)

Let me know if you have any other Qs ...

Sheldon
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 26, 2012
Rough.....Do not do it, as the drive from Paramus to Secaucus is about 30 minutes with no traffic. Train ride is solely 30 minutes. My experience; I commute daily to NYC during the prime summer months. You would be better taking the train in either Fairlawn, or Ridgewood, dependant upon where you are looking to purchase. Have you seen any potential properties? Feel free to email me at tlogan@ardorny.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 24, 2012