Home Buying in Long Beach>Question Details

Sam, Renter in Long Beach, NY

the apt I'm renting in a Westholme Area house might be goin in foreclosure or already is. What are my rights as a tenant in an illegal apt w/o lease,?

Asked by Sam, Long Beach, NY Sun Sep 2, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


First Last’s answer
Hi, Sam, the City of Long Beach has just received federal funding to eliminate illegal apartments and as soon as officials find out you are there, you will be out anyway. Therefore you need to find another place to live just as soon as you can.

Karla Harby
Long Beach resident
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 3, 2012
You need legal advice, but I will tell you that self-help is prohibited in NY. Therefore, you will have to be legally evicted. A summary proceeding may/may not be available to the landlord. This is too technical for me to explain now and might constitute legal advice. I suggest you see an attorney. The link below may provide some insight as well. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Consider looking for a new home; for any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hello Sam. The best advice I could give you is to start saving up and looking for a new place to live. If you are not sure the house is in foreclosure, you could go down to the county clerks office to review the public records at 240 Old Country Road, Mineola, NY (516) 571-2663. Make sure it is in foreclosure before you do anything else. If it's not, there is no need to worry, or plan a move. You could also see if it has the appropriate rental permits, and to see if you are legally allowed to be living there. I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney; who could better advise you on your rights and legal remedies/recourse(if any).

I hope this answered your questions. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you the best of luck,

De Vonte Williamson, LSA
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct: (631)638-6193
Cell: (631)384-3695
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Hello Sam - The first thing you should do is verify the property foreclosure status. You can verify the foreclosure status for FREE any property in the USA at http://www.nyhousingcenter.com

Your rights are not affected by the apartment being illegal but having no lease does play a role. I always encourage my clients to check daily the foreclosure status daily of any apartment that they rent or before they sign any new lease. Since it is 100% free, why not do it?

Please contact me at 914-299-0420 for additional assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 2, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer