Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

marc.narmon, Other/Just Looking in Belgium, WI

tax for a 'non resident alien'

Asked by marc.narmon, Belgium, WI Tue Nov 26, 2013

what would be the tax (federal and state) for rental income from a house bought in california for a non-US citizen?
idem on selling the house after > 1 year?

Help the community by answering this question:


When it comes to any tax issues, it's always best to consult with a licensed tax professional and or tax attorney....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 26, 2013
The Federal and State tax rate for a non resident alien would be the same for a non resident as it would be for a resident. The net income after deducting all allowable deductions including depreciation would be subject to ordinary income tax. Since our income tax system is progressive, the rate would depend on the total amount of income received. Only income earned in this country by the non resident alien would be subject to tax. An income tax return should be filed by the non resident each year. The rental income is considered to be passive income and is not subject to social security tax.
When the property is sold the buyer will be required to withhold 10% of the sale price for the IRS, and 3 and1/3% for the CA Franchise Tax Board. The non resident should still file income tax returns with the IRS and state. If the amount of tax owed is less than the amount withheld, the excess will be refunded.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 26, 2013
Flag Wed Nov 27, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer