Radiocranium, Home Buyer in Far North Dallas, Da...

stucco

Asked by Radiocranium, Far North Dallas, Dallas, TX Mon Feb 13, 2012

Am considering buying a house with EIFS. Love the house but am hesitant due to the reputation of this for problems. House was built in the mid-90s with no issues so far. Thoughts? How much of a negative is this for resale?

Answers

12
Live In Stucco’s answer
My stucco home is over 15 years old. Some of the comments on here are pretty interesting - lots of heard - but never experienced or seen opinions.

Many of the best builders in Texas offer stucco.
Drive through Willow Bend, Plano and many of the upscale areas off Preston Rd in Dallas.
You will see lots of stucco. If stucco was so terrible millionaires would not use this material on their mansions.

Try running searches on builders that offer stucco like Toll Brothers and Shelley Malone.
Then compare to brick builders like Grand Homes or Pulte.

IMO it comes down to the quality of the builder.
It is all about who does the stucco. Some companies have done well, other's did not. If there is any question, hiring a Stucco Specialist is important.

http://www.stuccowettest.com
I too have never had a client desire a home with stucco; I personally think stucco homes look nice, but I am not an expert when it comes to stucco's durability, but it seems that all contributors to this question have provided some outstanding service!
Walk up to the house, take out a ball point pen, jab the siding, how secure does that make you feel?
I meant http://www.kinsellamedia.com. Sorry for the typo.
My parents own a synthetic stucco home and the Insurance Company initially refused to insure them. In addition, there is a class action stucco suit pending. For more information see the link below. I would be extremely cautious before proceeding with this purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.knsellamedia.com
There are 4,235 things that can go wrong with a house:
When you own a house, you fix them.
When you buy a house, you look at the major expenses; roof, foundation, windows, A/C, etc.
An inspection will tell you if there any immediate or even long-term problems.

I have yet to have a client even consider the stucco as a buying consideration.

Good luck and may God bless
EIFS (Exterior Insulation Finishing System) isn't exactly stucco.

Stucco is basically Portland Cement, water and lime. Most EIFS systems are imitation stucco, made from synthetic materials. (Dryvit is one such example, not to single them out)... we see a fair amount of Dryvit and EIFS in our area.

First the good: Most EIFS systems are wonderfully waterproof, and an excellent weather resistant material when installed correctly, and maintained correctly.

Now the bad: Many EIFS systems are not installed correctly, and if they are installed correctly, are often poorly maintained. If water is allowed to get "behind" the system (between the EIFS and the house), since the material is so wonderfully waterproof, it has trouble getting out, and can create interior water damage and mold situations.

Since there have been so many problems with EIFS systems in the past, many relocation companies will not allow their buyers to purchase a house with EIFS, and that lowers your potential buyer pool when you go to sell.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
There are so few of those around here, it's tough to say if there is a resale issue or discount. I think the key is keeping them in good repair. I also suggest getting a specific EIFS inspection in addition to your normal inspection.

Probably the bigger issue for resale can be a contemporary home, if this is the style. Obviously thee are some that love them, but some others don't. It often seems to be more difficult to find this needle in a haystack.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Many people own homes with EIFS and never experience any problems. Proper sealing so that water does not penetrate behind the siding is key.

My recommendation should you choose to move forward with this home, is to get it inspected by a stucco expert. There are 2 in Dallas that I know of - both have been in business a long time and have inspected many of the homes in the area.
Many families love stucco for a home due to unique exterior than bricks If you have concerns go with traditional home. Not many communities here in DFW will allow builders to build these types of homes .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
The majority of things I have heard or read about it are negative, The biggest issue appears to be weather an effective drainage plane and the appropriate use or non-use of interior vapour barriers have been used . If you had a good inspector someone familar with the product that might give you a better piece of mind.