Home Buying in Michigan>Question Details

Cabble, Home Owner in Michigan

special assessment during real estate purchase

Asked by Cabble, Michigan Mon Aug 6, 2012

I recently purchased a foreclosed house. When the summer tax bill arrived, I found a special assessment of "weeds". I called the city and was told it is for last summer's weeds removing service charged to the previous title holder. Apparently, the title company did not discover this issue when they prepared the title transfer at closing. My question is what action should I take. Should I contact the title company and ask for a refund for whatever fee that I am not responsible for, or let them deal with the city assessor to get that weeds fee removed from my tax bill. Any other advice? Thanks

Help the community by answering this question:



I would advise you to contact the Title Company. Check your paperwork from the closing you may have signed a document which holds the Title Company harmless from any unknown assessments. Otherwise, I would advise you to contact a real estate attorney if the amount is worth it.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 6, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer