Home Buying in Alhambra>Question Details

l, Home Buyer in Idaho

since it's around 105 there this week I'm wondering what they're using for brains when they use asphalt for a roof.

Asked by l, Idaho Wed Jul 18, 2012

It will absorb and attract heat will it not?

Answers

3
Ann Griffin’s answer
I wondered that myself when I first moved here, but a roofer has since explained that the asphalt roofs aren't actually all that bad, and surprisingly hold up pretty well in the heat. Getting the inside roof of the attic coated with an insulating substance, of which there are quite a few on the market, is going to make a difference to heat absorption inside the house.

Erica is exactly right about the tile roofs.

I hope you're coping with the heat!

Ann Griffin
Coldwell Banker Trails and Paths
anngmesa@gmail.com
480-789-9584
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 18, 2012
It's lovely and cool here at nite-50o. Want to swap homes in winter? ha!
I'm not hot under the collar, it's that Man. Thank u M'am.
Flag Thu Jul 19, 2012
The wallet, not the brain, is what makes the decision. Tile roofing is merely decorative and doesn't seal the roof, it's the underlayment that seals the roof, which is usually 90lb. felt. Plus, the trusses need to be engineered to be able to carry the weight of a tile roof, which equals more expense.
You'd probably have to address this question to a thermal engineer or roofing products specialist. Most of us on this site are Realtor or Mortgage types. A good question though.

Phil at RWC is a pretty sharp materials guy and could probably answer your question if you are really looking for an answer verses simply commenting about our weather. His email address is: phil@rwc.org.

I for one would be interested in hearing what he has to say so if you chat with him let us know what he has to say.