Home Buying in Wallingford>Question Details

Mia Merrel, Home Owner in Wallingford, CT

should we change our 4 bed, 2 bath home into a 3 bed, 2.5 bath home?

Asked by Mia Merrel, Wallingford, CT Wed Jul 18, 2012

should we convert our 4th bedroom into a bathroom and closet for our master bedroom on the first floor?

other information:
-we are seriously lacking closet space in the downstairs. for just 2 of us we are using our bedroom's closet, the 4th bedroom's closet, the original coat closet, and half of our new coat closet which is about 12 feet long (so we are using about 6 feet)
-we have a downstairs bathroom that we would probably convert to a half bath
-we have a 3/4 bathroom upstairs for the 2 bedrooms up there
-we own a 1700 sq ft cape

Answers

4
If you are planning to stay in your house for a few years it may make sense to make changes to suit your needs for comfortable living. However, if your plan is to market your property for sale in the near future, I would first have a market analysis completed to determine the potential value of your property in todays market, and also examine the cost of doing any or all of those renovations. You can then determine how those changes will affect the value of your property. Some changes make sense to attract buyers. Bottom line ..the numbers need to work.
I would have to say that a 3br/2.5 bath home ( master with dedicated bath) would be more universally appealing than a 4br/2bath home. You would want to run comps specifically for this situation if you wanted to know what value impact this has for your home, but if this will better suit your lifestyle I say go for it.
If that is your need right now absolutely. If you are asking me how it would effect a sale down the road, I believe you will be making your home more saleable. First floor master bedrooms are in demand and will become more in demand with the baby boomers retiring in the next couple of years. If you would like me to see your home before you do anything give me a call and make an apt. No Charge. Rosemary 203-949-0863
Mia,
For your own purposes, providing you intend to stay in the house into the foreseeable future, do what makes you happy. If you were preparing to put the house on the market, I'd be less inclined to say do this.
In general, 4 bedroom homes are more popular than 3. But the lack of reasonable closet space and master bath may justify the loss. With 1700 square feet, having the 4th bedroom isn't critical and most buyers wouldn’t' be surprised to find it a 3 bedroom home.
My last thought would be to speak to some local agents as to what similar homes are selling for, which are selling quickly and how the changes you propose may affect the future value when you sell.