Home Buying in Syracuse>Question Details

Al, Home Buyer in Syracuse, NY

should i use a buyers agent if we are buying a new home from a builder?

Asked by Al, Syracuse, NY Mon Nov 21, 2011

Answers

14
I would. Builders are not held to the ethical standards that a Realtor is and they have been known to do things or say things that are not always the truth. Having an agent that is working for your best interests just is a good idea and builders know that agents know what they are doing and will hold them to what they say and what they are suppose to do. You might have a great builder and nothing will go wrong, but the extra insurance is in your favor -- PLUS IT'S FREE to you. So why not?
YES! No builder in my market - Indianapolis and surrounding counties - will increase the price of the home if you have an agent so it doesn't cost you anything. A good buyer's agent can usually negotiate more free items for you than you will be able to negotiate for yourself. Because of their prior experience with a builder they know what things a builder is likely to throw in - closing costs, stainless appliances, etc. Additionally they should be following the deal thru from contract signing to closing so you have someone you trust to answer your questions honestly every step of the way!

I always go with my buyers to every event they have with the builder until closing - contract signing, inspection, final walk-thru to make sure whatever commitments get made to them are followed thru on by the builder.

So again the answer is YES - use a buyer's agent!
Yes. Always use a buyer's agent. They protect your best interests!
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
YES, YES, YES! I say thins because you want your own representation. The seller pays the commission. Its is always good to bring your own agent because they will negotiate on behalf of you! A listing agent working for the builder is representing the seller and not necessarly out to get you the best deal! I hope that helps!

Heather
Al

As a Buyer's Agent, I concur with the opinions expressed. Have you secured your financing? Do you have a great Real Estate Lawyer to handle your side of the transaction. I have personal friends who(after countless delays) are just now moving into their new build for the holidays, but things still aren't right. Of course, they decided to not to use a Buyer's Agent....sad....

Good Luck & let me know if I can help sort through it all with you!!

Joseph Pauldine
Associate Broker & Buyer's Agent
Licensed in NY & GA

EXIT EZ Realty
2894 Oswego Rd
Liverpool, NY 13090
(315)591-8517 cell

http://www.jpauldine.exitez.com
Hi Al,
Anytime you are going to purchase a home whether it's a resale or a new home, you should have a Realtor that is your Buyer's agent assist you. There are many things that you may not consider that your Realtor can suggest and in the long run save you money! It costs nothing to have a Realtor represent you and your best interests! I would especially caution you to not to sit down with any builder without a Buyer's agent before you decide on one as they may NOT honor your agent after a initial meeting. Select your agent first then go on your appointments with that agent. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best of Luck!!
Debra Lawrence/ RealtyUSA
Web Reference: http://experiencedagent.com
Most definitely! The buyer's agent has your best interest in mind and when a conflict comes between you and the builder, the buyer's agent knows how to best resolve that with your interests in mind. The cost is nothing to you and builders really like agents - they know we bring them a lot of business.
Al,

Absolutely.....builders love seeing an unrepresented buyer walk through the doors. A represented buyer should be able to rely on their agent for a good understanding of both that specific builders product and those of nearby competitiors. The should have an appreciation for recent promotional programs and a good feel for the builder''s ability to negotiate their product.

From my standpoint there are two important aspects to keep in mind when considering a new built home. The first is to never enter a situation without your own personal representation. The second, is to always be pre-approved by your own lender for financing. There are too many creative ways builders can use their financing to generate additional income for them and expense for the customer.

Hope this is helpful.

Al,

For most of us, buying a home is the biggest single investment we’re likely to make – and we’re only likely to do it maybe once or twice in a lifetime. The process is, by nature, filled with checks and balances – and many complex details.

A buyer’s agent represents you, the buyer, not the seller, and has full fiduciary duties, including loyalty to you. By definition, the buyer’s agent has your best interests in mind throughout the transaction. The benefits of buyer representation are the dedication of a buyer’s agent to the home buyer. In a new home sale, buyer is representation is essential and at no cost to the buyer.

Carol Perdew
Prudential California Realty
(209) 239-7979
Carol@PerdewHomes.com
http://www.CentralValleyHomes.com
DRE 985176
We would say yes. Cost you nothing and you can find one here http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/Syracuse-broker--36213
Why not consider an agent of your own to look out for your best interest...
Al,
The answer is YES. You need someone to represent your best interests. The person you talk to when buying from a builder is normally an employee of the builder. That person is most of the time not even licensed by the state to sell real estate because they work for the builder. Most of the time using a buyers agent does not even cost you anything as their commission may be paid by the seller. So interview a few agents and find one that will help you with your purchase.

Gary Geer

http://www.GaryGeer.com
I think it's always a good idea to have someone represent you, go throught the process of writing an offer, make sure you get what is promised to you and make sure you get a follow up a year later after the house settles. It's up to you but it's like going to court without a lawyer, it's always a good idea to have someone on your side fighting for you. That's my opinion, good luck and hope I helped a little with this question. Maureen
Do you have someone you trust? It can only HELP more than it would hurt. I'd say yes, most people want someone acting on their behalf-- even in new construction. Does the builder have a listing agent acting on their behalf? It would only be fair to you to have your own agent.