Home Buying in Deerfield>Question Details

Bobby H, Home Buyer in Deerfield, IL

should i consider buying a two story house covered with dryit is this a problem the house in seashore area?

Asked by Bobby H, Deerfield, IL Fri Jun 29, 2012

Answers

6
bobby
Are you still in the market?
Hi Bobby,
If you have not bought a Deerfield home yet, see my latest Deerfileld market report

http://www.trulia.com/blog/art_wilson/2013/01/deerfield_il_r…
Synthetic stucco, EFIS or brand name of Dryvit as mentioned by Caroline was a low cost way to imitate the look of Stucco and added architectural detail and trim. Here is the problem in a nutshell. Dryvit doesn't have weep holes like brick and so if and when water gets behind the siding it stays there and rots wood and can mold inside the walls! Brick has those wicks sticking out the bottom that accumulates condensation with normal hot cold changes. With EFIS the moisture just stays there.

The only solution is to keep really good caulking job on all places the dryvit joins or touches another siding material. The solution is to pay for a Dryvit/EFIS inspection where they measure moisture levels in core samples and look for caulk failure. if it passes inspection you can get a warranty for several thousand dollars for 5 years and have annual re-inspections and fix caulking failures as it happens. if the dryvit is beyond repair your looking at tens of thousands to redo with authentic stucco! beware of neglected foreclosures with dryvit because I guarantee those have not been kept up. Last bit of bad news. Relocation companies hate EFIS, and do not allow transferrees to buy a house with Dyvit. So if it is a high end house, no executive transfers will be able to purchase the home or risk losing their benefits.

Your seashore comment I interpret as a question regarding the southern states where dryvit really got a bad reputation! Wet, hot climates with mild winters are worse on Dryvit and fail faster than up here in the Midwest. In Florida mold risk is bad on any house, worst with Dryvit.

If the house you are considering is a short sale or foreclosure I think you should plan on residing the house with cedar and doing an extra inspection on Dryvit. If the house you like is a normal sale with owners still living there, you can negotiate the dryvit warranty into a price so they pay for the inspection and give you a transferable warranty.

If you like my answer, best answer me! If you would like me to assist you in narrowing your search please call.
You are looking at properties in Deerfield or surrounding areas in Illinois?
Here is the issue with Dryvit..... It was a new product a while back and the problem is really not with
the product itself as it was more with how it was installed. If done perfectly well and right, there should not be a problem. But when it was first installed not always were the installers experienced in Dryvit... so here you go!

Here is my advice to my clients:
IF AND WHEN YOU REALLY REALLY LIKE THE HOUSE THEN:

Have a specialist inspect it, and if there are problems either have them fixed or walk away.....
I have had clients that would just say from the beginning that they would not buy a house with it.

So really having it inspected, and down the road well taken care of is the most important recommendation I can give to my clients.

Just be careful..... and there are so many choices of homes and different constructions out there
so you as a buyer truly have a lot of choices.

Are you working with a Realtor, i.e. a Buyers Agent with whom you have a Buyer Representation agreement, and that one Realtor works exclusively on your behalf, the buyer's interest?
If not I strongly suggest you do.... the service will be free to you as Buyers Agents are usually paid by the Sellers side out of the profits to the Seller....

Why would you do this on your own, finding, deciding, writing the offer with a solid market evaluation in front of you, have someoen negotiate terms and price in your best interest, and then
assist you and walk you through the entire process to a successful closing....

If yo have additional questions always always feel free to contact me.....

Good Luck to you.... :)
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Staining, water damage, mold. I've seen numerous dryvit issues. If you love the house there are dryvit inspectors who can evaluate if damage has occurred or may occur. On another note, if you have an interest in building a beautiful new home, let's talk!
Hi Bobby,
Feel free to call me about the dryvit question. I have delt quite often with this material and there r different ways to go about it should you consider this purchase. I'd love to help, just probably better to talk one on one.
Thanks for asking.
Coleen
312-246-3523