doug e  perry, Home Buyer in Natick, MA

should i change from oil heat to propane ? theres no natural gas in the neighborhood

Asked by doug e perry, Natick, MA Fri May 24, 2013

Answers

5
Not unless you were planning to change the heating system anyway. Review the cost difference per unit of heat - propane is not nearly as inexpensive relatively speaking as Nat Gas - and I think you'll find your time to recoup your investment is much longer than you'd think.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Doug,
Propane is being used a lot in new construction. It burns cleaner too.
I'd start with Mass Energy Audit...no cost. I had it done to my home.
I'd also check with the Gas company as to cost to convert.
if you are going to stay a long time in your home it maybe worth it.
Nancy Butterly
ZipRealty.com
Nancy.butterly@ziprealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Doug,
You can contact NSTAR about conversion. If there's no gas on the street, it can be quite costly to run a line from nearest access. I've been told that from sidewalk to house is about $ 500.00 per foot. They will have all the info you need
GerryHarrington
Sales / Rental Agent
Anderson Treacy Real Estate
geh1963@gmail.com. 781-367-1647
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
Doug,
Oil prices are more volatile over time than propane. There are conversions you can do to figure out what the cost of each would be per 100,000 btu's. I've attached a link to help you do your calculations. You'll need to figure out the cost per gallon of each fuel in your area.
In general, propane burns cleaner than oil and you can add other options like the water heater or stove if you like. If natural gas does come available you can convert your propane equipment to natural gas.
If you do convert from oil, you'll need to have your oil tank either removed or decommissioned. There is a one time charge for this.
First look at your heating bills for the past 2 years. Do you expect any changes, like spending more time at home? Call a propane company to have an analysis done for the cost. If you get new windows, your home will be more air tight.
Call Mass Save and have them do an energy audit. Call or email me if you would like more idea's. mindy@prudentialtnc.com.