Home Buying in Glen Cove>Question Details

Martha Jimen…, Home Owner in Queens County, NY

should I contact directly the real state agent of the house I am interested or should I contact an independent agent first?

Asked by Martha Jimenez Vazquez, Queens County, NY Mon Jul 9, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Christopher Pagli’s answer
You can do either, just keep in mind the listing agent represents the seller and their best interest. Anything you say can be used against you in a negotiation. I always recommend having your own representation.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
If you are currently working with an agent, why not simply ask that agent to show you the property...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
If you already have an agent who has been working with you, you can simply go to him/her. If you do not, you can go directly to the listing agent or hire a buyer's agent to help you negotiate the house for you. I can definitely recommend someone if you do not have a Realtor right now.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Assistant Director of Sales
105 Conklin Street
Farmingdale, NY 11735
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(631) 227-3258 Office
(516) 584-7138 Fax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 20, 2015
I think it's always best to have your own representation... you need someone who will look out for your best interest.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 24, 2014
Buyers typically think they are better off with dealing with the listing agent of a property but that is not really the case since the fiduciary relationship is with the owner. When that agent works with both buyer and seller, then a dual agency exists, where that special relationship is off the table. I believe it is best to research the agent by looking at various local bios of the agencies and call two or three to discuss how they will help you find a property. From this discussion, you can choose one you feel most comfortable with. They will help you find your home by showing you a variety of available homes in the area.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 24, 2014
This is an excellent question! Many buyers think that they need to deal directly with the listing agent. However, the listing agent represents the seller. Fortunately in New York State home buyers have the option of choosing to be represented by a Certified Buyers Representative. The benefits of having a Certified Buyers Representative are multi-fold! First, and foremost, as a Certified Buyers Representative the Realtor's fiduciary duty is to the buyer.

Should you require additional information, I would be happy to assist you and discuss the benefits of engaging a Certified Buyers Representative.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 23, 2014
It's always best to protect your personal interests by seeking your own personal representation. In this case, it appears you would be working with the seller's representation.

Good luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
On Long Island, NY, contact an ABR* affiliated with The National Association of REALTORS* NAR and the Long Island Board of Realtors, you’ll be dealing with a highly qualified representative.

The advantages of contracting an experienced Accredited Buyer’s Representative, ABR* are invaluable, almost guaranteeing a more favorable purchase price, terms and smooth transaction, on any acquisition or lease. By contract, an ABR’s fiduciary responsibility is to represent the buyer’s best interest ‘only.’

My firm has represented Buyer Clients since 1989, for further info, please Call or Text me at: 516-815-6600 or e-mail: wnb@wnbre.com. The National Association of REALTORS*

My Best,

Bill Bodouva
Licensed Real Estate Broker, LIBOR, NAR, REBAC, MLSLI
Nationally Accredited Buyer’s Representative, ABR*, SFR
Transaction Coordinator
Tel: 516-815-6600 Fax: 516-883-5501
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
Has your agent; I will also pre-qualify you to make sure we can actually close
the deal and/or get the mortgage. This includes finding out, your income, credit
history and proof of assets. I will in coordinating the mortgage process, appraisal
(including supplying the appraiser with comps to show value) and a plethora of
other tasks including orchestrating the final walk-through.

With your permission, I’d like to be that agent ...I really appreciate your
question and thank you for it. If I can be of further assistance please let
me know. Good luck!

Fajardo Delacruz
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Century Homes Realty Group llc
Direct Line: 347-932-0609
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
You can do either. Sometimes it is best to have an agent who can represent just you. They can also do all the work finding a property for you if this one does not work out. Best wishes!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Jeri Vitale.
Laffey Fine Homes.
Cell 516. 551-8852
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
The listing agent is working for the seller to get the highest price possible. You can work with a buyers agent that will be negotiating on your behalf. If you need my help feel free to call.
Jeri Vitale.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Sure you can contact the listing agent. However, it is best to find an agent that you are comfortable working with and have that agent represent you, the buyer!!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
The listing agent will work on the sellers behalf as their duty is to the seller. A buyers agent will be dedicated to you on your best interests. If you have any questions, feel free to call, no obligation.

Gina lollo
Certified buyers agent
Gladstone Group
(631) 335-7078
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
If you have a relationship with a Realtor, I would recommend staying with them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Ms. Vasquez, If you have established a working relationship with an agent who has shown you homes and has taken time to research answers to your questions and you feel comortable with that person then you should call that agent. If you have not had contact with any agent then call the other agent who is representing the house you like directly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
The listing agent represents the Seller. You should have a Realtor who will be representing your interests.

Gail Gladstone
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 10, 2012
Hi Martha, contacting + using the services of an agent in a Buyer Brokerage agreement is your best option. Remember, the listing agent's fiduciary duty is to their client, the seller, + is bound by this agreement to get the highest + best possible deal. The buyer's agent you enter into an agreement with, represents You + Not the seller.
You may contact me for further discussion on this matter.
Jeff Stone
Laffey Fine Homes
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
There are two distinct paths to travel. Path one you go through the listing agent. Keep in mind the listing agent works for the seller, you do not have their loyalty and they cannot negotiate nor advise you. Path two you get a buyer's agent that works for you. Make sure that the agent will accept whatever the seller is offering to buyer's agents as their total commission, thus you will have your own agent at no cost to you. A buyer's agent owes their loyalty and fiduciary responsibility to you, they can negotiate on your behalf and you can trust them with your strategy and financial details. In my opinion you should get a buyer's agent to represent you without question. My only caveat is that I would not sign an exclusive agreement with them. An exclusive agreement means that you are bound to that agent for a certain period of time and if you don't like them or they aren't responsive to you, you have no choice but to stick with them. Good luck; please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.
Thank you
Tom Brady SFR, e-Pro, SRES, GREEN
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Ret. NYPD Lt.
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Plaza - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer