Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Newone, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

shapell homes san ramon interior options

Asked by Newone, San Ramon, CA Thu Jun 2, 2011

Hi..I wanted to know about the interior options for yet to be constructed houses, specifically at Athena. What if I am not interested in the bonus room that they are offering? Is that negotiable at all? Why do they even call it an option if they are not leaving the choice to the buyer? I am being told that the house comes with the bonus room which I am not interested in, what can I do in such a case? Wait for the next release and hope they will construct a house that I like? I thought one of the benefits of buying a brand new house is having some option to the floor plan (interior only)?

Answers

4
Hi Newone!

Please feel free to email me direct at astephens@mmcdcorp.com if you'd like to char off line. I worked for Shapell for 7 years and now do loans. In a perfect world (and real estate market!) you would be able to select any and all options for a new house from Shapell however, in this market the house has sometimes already been partially constructed by the time it is released for sale. The builder does not stop or hold up the order of construction because the house is not sold. The only time you may see that happen is with flooring at the very end. Shapell may decide to sit on the house for a few weeks in hopes a buyer will come along and select their own flooring. If they did this with homes that are being framed, wired, stucco'd etc they would have every house at a different stage, and shapell does not work that way.
In some cases they may be willing to go back and modify the option, these are pretty few and far between however. With a bonus room (if it's already selected, material ordered or constructed) they will probably not agree to change it. You best bet is to talk to the salesperson, many times if needed, and let them know your level of interest in the next release. If you 100% want the house without the bonus room they may be willing to order it to be built that way. The risk for them is if they agree to do this and you don't but it, they end up with a house that might not be built to the popular standard. I hope this helped and feel free to reach out to me personally!
Cindy is right:

People think that because they are dealing with a Developer that they do not need, or, cannot have a Realtor:
Wrong. If you register with the sales office, you can have a Realtor protect your interests and they will pay his commission.
As for the options: They will do almost anything except change the floor plan. My suggestion would be to look at it from a different perspective; what can you do with that bonus room? More square footage is usually a good thing and valued at re-sale time. Shapell is one of the better builders I have seen.
Options for floorplans, etc. with a builder will vary from builder to builder ...often, the builder has a set idea in mind and only gives options on items like flooring, granite, etc.
Your best bet is to negotiate directly with the builder. Most of the builders have plan approvals from their city/county that have to be adhered to. They can offer options but the builder themselves will be the one who can assist you with that. A strong qualified buyer wanting to make a purchase is a big motivator for them to hold discussions with you. You can obtain a local realtor familiar with the tract to help you with those negotiations.

Good Luck