Nuuaus01, Home Buyer in 90220

seller lied that his house was for sale, he approved me but i found out house is going in auction, he already took $5400 from me.. scam

Asked by Nuuaus01, 90220 Mon Feb 13, 2012

Answers

6
Too many unknown's in your queston. Need more info. Sounds like a legal matter to me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 14, 2012
It is difficult to come to any conclusion without more information. How long ago was the offer accepted? Was it ever disclosed that this was a distressed property sale? Were you using an escrow company? If so, how did the Seller take $5k? Did you and seller use real estate agents?

If you need a referral for a local real estate attorney, feel free to contact me.
No, that doesn't USUALLY happen when a professional is involved. It is, however, less likely. Small claims is the best bet, but maybe an attorney consultation would be a first step. Many attorneys do not change for an initial consultation. Find one of them that does lots of RE work and has a court practice.

This is why we have escrow money - so the seller cannot take it and run. It is so important not to give the seller money before the closing.
Roland, Thanks for giving sound advice!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Flag Thu Jun 7, 2012
Nuuaus,
If the sale can close and be funded before the auction, then it could be legitimate. If the seller was offering seller financing or lease to own, you have been defrauded.
If that is the case, start with the police and go from there. There are cases like this where the person who claimed to own the home actually didn't, they take the deposit and disappear. I'm sorry this happened to you, it makes good sense when trying to buy to get a professional involved before any money changes hands or terms are negotiated. I hope you get your money back.
Contact your state or city attorney general's office and report the scam.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
At this point it may be in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....