Home Buying in Cumming>Question Details

Hariish Uppi…, Home Buyer in Alpharetta, GA

retention pond behind the house

Asked by Hariish Uppili, Alpharetta, GA Wed Sep 12, 2012

Hi we are looking to buy a house in Cumming Ga, the one sub division we like has awesome houses but the only one left there is with a retention pond at the back... we are first time home buyers ( family of four me my husband and our two gurls 4 n 1yr).... pls advice.... should we consider this place at all....?

Answers

11
Hi Hariish, it's personal preference, but the fact that you question the property means you might want to keep looking. From your description it seems you are looking at new construction. I would ask one question, why do you think that the last home left for sale has the retention pond? Many critters come with retention ponds like frogs, Mosquitos, and possibly snakes, and in Georgia there are poisonous snakes. Other questions, Did you know that new construction comes with higher taxes, more upfront expenses like window treatments, & landscaping? Who will be responsible for the fence around it? Are there easements on the property to allow maintenance of it?
Why have you not hired a REALTOR to help you find the perfect home and negotiate the best price?

Ken D'Ademo, GRI,CDPE
Associate Broker
Keller Williams Chattahoochee North
Office: 678-542-1967
As both an appraiser and a broker my answer is a definitive NO.

You will have marketing issues when it's time to sell, there is clear evidence that homes with adverse external influences (detention/retention ponds, power lines, traffic) sell for less than non impacted sites.

You may find issues while living there - inspects, vermin, maintenance of the area, safety issues with kids, aesthetics, etc

It's a sucker bet buying these impacted sites, builders will tell you whatever is required to unload these lots - avoid them.

Hank
Web Reference: http://hmtatlanta.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Hariish, sounds to me like you already know the answer. There is a reason its the only one left. I commend you for not ignoring such an important factor to consider when buying new construction. Often buyers get seduced by the new construction and pay the price when they need to sell.

Good luck. You will find a great home with patience.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2012
Hi Hariish,

Unless the developer has turned the retention pond into an amenity then the answer is No!!

In other words unless there is a water feature that is appealing such as a fountain recycling the water in the pond and beautiful landscaping it will not add value when it comes time for you to resale the home. If you decide to go forward with the purchase be sure that you buy it at a heavy discount as you will have to heavily discount the home when you resell it in the future....

Chuck Green, Realtor
Chattahoochee North
678-578-2788
chuckgreen@kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
I ALWAYS thing about resale as I show homes to buyers. While the buyer ultimately makes the final decision, I ask them to think about things like retention ponds, high tension wires, steep driveways, etc. If they have raised the question about something I tell them the next person looking at this house when they sell will also raise the question. Of course, if you have a bunch of boys that like to find "pond critters" it might be a dream for them!! Best of luck in your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
If you can get an awesome deal it is something to consider. When buying a home and a first home, you need to think about re-sale. Will the retention pond behind the house be a pro or con????
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
You can see my listing with the most beautiful retention pond that adds value to the lot. 3550 Pond Gap Ln, Cumming 30040. Look at those pictures. You will be impressed
Good morning,
I have a beautiful pond behind my house with the amenities behind that so I have a relaxing view as I find water quit nice. I raised 3 children and some of our fondess memories were by water of all types. If your children are well behaved and you do not have to worry about them drowning, I would not rule out a home I loved because of that. Always follow your first instincts and you will find the perfect place. I always tell my clients that they will know when they are home. I never had a client regret their decision yet! Good uck with your search.
HI,

Congrats on finding something you like. When considering a home near a rentention pond you should consider all of the wildlife some that you may like and some that you may dislike such as frogs, turtles, birds and mosquitos and other insects. You may also want to consider, how the retention pond will be accessed. Will it be fenced in or will it be landscaped in? And finally, how will all of this impact resale in the future?

I love working with first time home buyers. If you decide to keep searching. I would love to help. Please fee lfree to contact me directly.

Carla Ham
Chattahoochee North
3930 East Jones Bridge Road
Suite 100
Norcross, GA 30092
678.578.2700 - Office
404.944.3891 -Cell
404.972.9992 - Fax
carlaham@kw.com
http://www.alpharettasuwaneehomeforsale.com
No. If you have questions regarding the retention pond, so will a future purchaser and right away
your investment is comprimized. Leroy Payne, Assoc. Broker, Keller Williams Community Partners.
leroypayne1@gmail.com
Just say no! Resist your temptation to buy a good house on a problem lot. You will never be able to resell it, and you may feel uncomfortable that your small children are near a retention pond. There will be a lot/house combination in your future, just be patient.