Home Buying in Thousand Oaks>Question Details

Felicia Dixon, Home Buyer in Thousand Oaks, CA

relocating to California deciding on Thousand Oaks or Santa Monica. Need place with excellent schools have an 11 yr old & home with back yard (grass)

Asked by Felicia Dixon, Thousand Oaks, CA Sun Oct 28, 2012

Answers

7
Amy McMaster’s answer
Hi Felicia:
You have to come and check out Thousand Oaks.
Its an amazing place to be and to raise children.
Our public schools are amazing.
Your 11 year old is probably in the 6th grade.
My boys are 9 & 11 and we live in Thousand Oaks in a community called Dos Vientos - and we are just crazy about it. Our area has our own school called Sycamore Canyon School and it goes from K-8th (has a middle school 6-8 campus).
I would be happy to show you arounds.
Sincerely yours,
Amy McMaster

My Name is Kenneth McKinney with IMT Thousand Oaks we are located on 491 W. Gainsborough Rd in Thousand Oaks Ca. We are near an exellent Red Ribbon Middle school and Elementary school. The name of the Elementary school is Acacia Elementary and the middle school is called Redwood Middle School if you have any other questions about our Community our number is 805-497-7848 and my e-mail address is kenneth.mckinney@imtreg.com. Our community is located on a hillside and we have 191 apartments in our community. If you would like to view our reviews please go to Apartment ratings.com look up IMT Thousand oaks our zip code is 91360.

Have a great day from IMT Thousand oaks and good luck on your search for your next home.
Hi there,

Thousand Oaks is definitely family friendly and the public school system is good according to my cousin whose kids go went to elementry, middle and high school. In fact, her daughter just got accepted to Berekely to study sociology. However, Santa Monica is closer to LA and more central to the large business centers. Some things to think about (if you don't have already or need to) are emplyment and the location of emplyment. If you are comfortable with commuting, if needed (Traffic can be grewling in LA and Ventura), high paced or lower paced neighborhoods, any particular community needs, family close/ far, climate preferences, just throwing ideas out there.
Personally, I am an advocate of private schools and I know that both Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica have a few to pick from.
If I were you I would get pre-approved by a lender (if you are thinking of buying), know for sure what my price range is I am looking for, and start comparing Santa Monica with Thousand Oaks with the based on what my needs are and what appeals to me best. Agents can help you answer questions about areas in details, and most are more than willing to spend time showing you around thier local service area, Especially if you are pre-approved!

Hope this helps!
From Ojai
James and Tania Kirchner
Appreciate your advice regarding pre-approval, schools, employment and commute time. Prefer private school as well if the public schools are not rated high this is something I have to look into as well.
Flag Tue Oct 30, 2012
Hi Felicia, I have lived and worked in Thousand Oaks since 1979 and have been in my present house since 1988. Thousand Oaks is a wonderful family community. My son did all his education through high school here in Thousand Oaks. The schools are fantastic. He was very active in many sports and there are so many different opportunities for children to find their sport of choice. Whether you are leasing or buying, the comparisons to Thousand Oaks or Santa Monica are huge. Home prices will be higher in Santa Monica and it is quite a bit more crowded with people and traffic. Beach weather is nice when it is good, but Thousand Oaks has consistently good weather throughout the year. Thousand Oaks ,which is part of the Conejo Valley, is pretty much maxed out new housing, which means we are as big as we are going to get. Thousand Oaks is truly a fabulous place to live.
Thank you for your reply. Connie is there a major price difference in homes for sale compared to a city another agent mentioned in his posting (Camarillo).
Flag Tue Oct 30, 2012
I do live in Thousand Oaks and raised my daughter here. I can tell you that it is a wonderful place to raise a child! Not only are the schools great but it consistently ranks as one of the safest communities in the United States! There are many neighborhoods to explore in which you may be able to find a home with a grassy yard that is also within walking distance to the many wonderful parks and trails that surround this area. In addition, from Thousand Oaks it is an easy drive to Santa Monica, Malibu, Ventura, Ojai, and Santa Barbara, as well as to the San Fernando Valley. I have lived here for the past 20 years and have to say that it gets better and better each year!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
I don't live in either area but I know enough to say Thousand Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Thousand Oaks all day long!!!!
I have lived in Venice and now live in Camarillo. Both cities are popular places to live. Santa Monica is set up for EZ access / public transportation and has a cooler climate. Traffic in the coastal areas of Los Angeles can be unnerving at times, whereas Ventura County is not as densely populated. We chose Camarillo 15 years ago, moving away from the Venice area, as we felt the Conejo Valley was still too crowded feeling. Camarillo's cooler climate, family atmosphere, and lower home prices makes it a great alternative to TO or Santa Monica. Compare cities thru the link provided below.