Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

mo_wharton, Other/Just Looking in Sacramento, CA

relocating from CA which would be best Austin or SA? What areas should we look at in SA? We are active retirees, in our 70s, with two dogs.

Asked by mo_wharton, Sacramento, CA Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

18
Jason C Campbell’s answer
Now that is a tough question!!!! But, it is a bit subjective. I think it falls to which city you like better. I think home prices are a bit lower in San Antonio, and the medical community is a bit bigger as well.

There are more retirees in San Antonio than there are in Austin, by a lot.. but that doesn't mean San Antonio is the right choice for you.

My advice.. I'd look at homes in both cities... drive the areas, and see which one says "Im Home" to you.

Anything less is just someone else's opinion really.

Jason C Campbell
Platinum Top 50 Finalist
Option One Real Estate
210-389-5266
.
http://www.SAHomeExpert.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
Welcome, welcome.

I am from California myself from Orange County in the South. If I can learn more of your favorite activities I can be of much better help. There is a great many things to do in both cities. I live in San Antonio myself and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Near both cities there is golf, camping, wineries, hiking trails, fishing, river activities. San Antonio has amusement parks, Austin has NASCAR. This list will go on and on and on.

Please contact me directly so I can learn more about what you are looking for specifically so I can guide you in the best direction.

I am here to help

Gregory Touchstone
210-660-2834
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
Thanks to everyone for the help. We will be visiting Texas in
april and will be spending a week in San Antonio. We intend visiting New Braunfels and San Marcos as possible reloacation sites.
Excellent choice. I know a Hotel Manager if you need a good rate on a room for that Time period.

Gregory Touchstone
210-660-2834
gregory.touchstone@gmail.com
Flag Sun Feb 24, 2013
I see some great responses you have received from agents. Once you narrow it down to the city and looking to get mortgage financing, please allow me to help you with your pre-approval letter to get your offers considered very seriously and likely to get seller's attention since you have done the loan approval process.

I encourage you to visit my website to learn more about my company, products, work ethics. Also to visit our trulia and zillow profile.
http://www.zillow.com/profile/Labdulla/

Best Regards.
Laila Abdulla
CALL NOW 210.535.1739 !! FREE consultation even before going through the loan application process.
It depend on your lifestyle for sure and what you like to do. But to describe each city Austin is more of a college town vs. SA is more a military city. Austin and San Antonio are only about an 1:15 apart so you can always plan day trips. Both have many things to do, lots of parks and areas for your dogs. I have 4 dogs and live in SA. New Braunfels is very nice too. About 45 minutes from SA city center.
Visited new Braunfels in April. We thought the town centre, and approach to it, looked old, dirty and rundown nothing like the photos we had seen. All it seemed to offer, from our point of view, was good medical facilities everything else seemed to be geared to river activities. We were so put off we didn't even visit housing comunities.
Flag Wed Jun 5, 2013
Austin is a great city for active people of any age and is known to be a city for dog lovers as there are many dog parks and outdoor patio's at restaurants for dogs. If I had to compare which of the two cities are most like CA, I would say Austin. Good luck :)
Austin.

Just a terrific town.

Perry
San Antonio > Austin. Trust me.

http://www.mysatxhomes.com
Hello. Being familiar with both communities, it is simply a matter of taste. I think that Austin is more liberal, being the capitol of the state and university driven. There are some very nice areas there and it is hilly. Austin tends to get snow before San Antonio, and traffic can be a challenge. San Antonio is more laid back and not as formal, but has traffic challenges in certain parts of the city as well. Depends on your lifestyle of formal or laid back, how much you want to spend, and do you want acreage or do you want to live close to your neighbors. I would look at properties in both and then make a decision. Good luck on your search!
Wow! These are two great cities from which to choose. Austin is a bit faster paced and the driving can be nerve racking. It is a university driven environment and a lot of fun if you are in to the night life. San Antonio is more laid back and family orientated. Being of retirement age myself ( I'll probably work until I'm 90 ), I would most likely choose San Antonio, which also has a bunch of great golf courses. I would love to help if you choose San Antonio.
Terry Graff
Broker Assoc./Partner
Select Professionals, Inc.
210-399-0206 office
210-473-4836 direct
Welcome to Texas and great question! I guess I would be a little bit more partial to San Antonio having lived in both cities. The traffic in San Antonio is much easier to navigate! :-) One place that I have found over the years that many of my active retired clients love is the Del Webb community on the NW part of San Antonio called the Hill Country Retreat. It's like living on vacation year round! They have an amazing amenity center with something for everyone! Very active and friendly community that feels like you are in the country with top rated shops and dining only 5 minutes away. Check this place out at - http://delwebbhome.com/tx/san-antonio

I would be glad to meet you out there and show you around. The kind sales folks out there do represent Del Webb and it's always great to have a friend who knows the area and can help you make the best decisions, plus they pay my fee so there's no cost to you!

Feel free to contact me at - 210-520-0900 or ron@homeron.com
My website is http://www.ronmersinger.com
I have been serving the San Antonio area since 1988!

Have a blessed day!

Ron Mersinger, ABR, PNG
RE/MAX North - San Antonio
RE/MAX Hall of Fame Member
Five Star Professional
Having spent time in both, there is much to love about either.
Austin is outdoorsy. more hip and fit, with kayaks, bikes, live progressive music and a tech vibe.
San Antonio exudes culture, history food and variety of life as well as major symphony and more touring Broadway shows, excellent zoo and theme parks
It really depends on what you enjoy doing. You will find plenty to do in either city.
If you want a good blend of small town and metro life, New Braunfels and San Marcos are excellent choices, just 20-45 minutes from both cities large cities. And then there is the WONDERFUL Hill Country, with old German towns favored by many retirees.
If you can't decide or if water is your thing, check out the Spring Branch/Canyon Lake area (about 30 minutes from North San Antonio and south Austin). I might suggest renting/extended visit to that area, then you can sample both cities on a daily basis. )gasoline is about $3.15 gallon here now.
I love talking up the area and know it very well. Send me an email if you have any questions, I will be glad to chat.
danbalcar@hotmail.com
Austin and San Antonio are both good cities to choose from. Both have mild climates that compare to the California areas, maybe a little warmer than some areas. They offer lifestyles condusive to an active retirement schedules. The cost of living is less in the San Antonio area in housing and tax structures. San Antonio has 4 military bases and many military families have retired here because of military connectivity. There are expanded medical areas in San Antonio and Austin. You will find lots of opportunity for extra curricular activities; golfing, biking, fishing, boating and other social activities.

Enjoy visiting both areas, either online or in person. I think once you line out the activities that attract you the decision will be easy.

I sell homes in San Antonio, happy to introduce you to our city.

Sue
Both are great cities. I think you and your fur babies would really love San Antonio. Visit both though.
Call or email me anytime. I'm a full time Realtor in San Antonio.

Tabitha King
210-414-4255
tabitha@kingrealtors.com
Web Reference: http://www.kingrealtors.com
Enough said, now find your next home at http://www.JoseSellsSanAntonio.com
It is free and up to date.
Good Luck and welcome to the Lone Star State.
Jose L. Novelo
Really depends a lot on what activities you most enjoy and the cost of living you're comfortable with. The cost of living will be lower substantially lower in San Antonio than Austin but you if you're a big fan of lake activities, Austin may be more suitable. If you're more attuned to beach activities, San Antonio will put you closer to the Gulf Coast and some of the best fishing locales.

I would certainly recommend you spend a few weeks visiting each city (extended stay hotels would be a good choice during these visits) to get a better feel for what each city has to offer as they are very different in so many ways.
If you like a friendly environment with beautiful places to visit and where you can get much more home for your money, San Antonio is the place to be. I would be happy to take care of you in finding your new home.

Narce Pena
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate
Bradfield Properties
(210) 861-8837
Narcepena@hotmail.com
http://www.Bradfieldproperties.com/Narcepena