Home Buying in Fort Collins>Question Details

Anonymous Us…, Home Buyer in Fort Collins, CO

recessed can lights in study and bedrooms

Asked by Anonymous User, Fort Collins, CO Sun Nov 18, 2012

I am buying a new house which is yet to be constructed. I have an option to have recessed can lights installed in study and 3 bedrooms. I have already decided that i would get ceiling fan in study and the 3 bedrooms. I am wondering if it would make sense to install recessed can lights in study and the 3 bedrooms in addition to the ceiling fan with light kit. If i get the can lights in bedrooms and study does it ruin the appeal of a bedroom? What are your thoughts? Please advise.

Answers

8
Laura Anne Batson’s answer
Hi - My husband sells lighting for a major lighting company. We put our home on the market last year and prior to listing installed LED PAR lamps in recessed cans in the kitchen, family room and master bedroom. The lighting really made these rooms pop. Newer LED lamps are able to be dimmed, offer excellent color rendition and can be bought with a reduced glare lens. Lighting is an excellent way to improve the ambiance of any room and we found to greatly enhance the overall appeal of our home. LED is still on the more expensive end, but Halogen and GE Reveal also offer wonderful, less expensive options. I wish you well with your new home!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 29, 2012
Thank you! Appreciate your inputs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
I would go with bthe can lights in the study, This is a room where lighting needs to be bright, Can lights in the bedrooms, No, I would go with the wiring for the ceiling fan and light. Use the money that you saved on ceiling fans
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 23, 2012
Larry makes a good point in suggesting a dimmer for the recessed lights (or any ceiling lights, for that matter). There's no reason recessed lights would hurt the appeal of any bedroom if, as Christopher suggests, you are consistent in their use.

I'd suggest as well that if you collect artwork - paintings, wall sculptures, etc, that recessed lights could be used to accent the art. That would be a great use for such lighting and would work well in any room. If that's the case, don't put the lighting too close to the walls - at least 2' - 3' out depending on the ceiling height.

Enjoy your new home!

- Joe
Hi, If there is consistency in the bedrooms then it will look good. I personally love recessed lighting because its so evenly disperses the light. Depending on the size of the room the fan and light may be plenty. If the room is huge with additional sitting area, etc then I would consider it.

Chris
It does look really nice, especially in bedrooms. It has a soft glow that is extremely warm and welcoming. I don't think there's any problem with putting the LEDs in, especially if the builder isn't charging much more. | https://ledequipped.com
Flag Mon Dec 8, 2014
I would suggest the study is an excellent choice for canned lighting and I'd ask to have them on a dimmer switch as well. For the Master bedroom I like miniature cans placed roughly 2' in diagonally from the corners and again on a dimmer. I would also suggest a fan/light combination centered in the room. For all other bedrooms i would suggest a fan/light combination centered in the room.

I hope you enjoy your new home.
If you want them then go ahead and get them, you can always turn them off later. You can always change the wattage to have different effects too. Good luck!
Hi, IMHO if you want them go ahead and have them installed, it's not going to hurt anything. Your having the home built for you, so go ahead and do it the want it. I think the more lights in a home the better. Just have them wired on a separate switch from the fan.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2012