Home Buying in East Falls>Question Details

Danamichael, Renter in Northern Liberties/...

rail road tracks

Asked by Danamichael, Northern Liberties/ Fishtown, Philadelphia, PA Wed Apr 27, 2011

is it bad to buy a home right accross the st. from railroad tracks

Answers

9
Just know going into the deal that depending on how hot the market is when you sell, it could be a tough resale.
You will most likely need to be a screaming deal when you turn to sell, so make sure that is the case when you buy the home. As long as you love the house and your comfortable with the location, noise, etc.. then go for it. Again, just make sure it's a screaming deal to justify the location.
I see you are from Northern Liberties. My offiice is also in Northern Liberties at the piazza in the Rialto building.
Please feel free to contact me--215-850-4524. It would make things very easy on your home search because of our location being the same.

Lori Damsker
Remax Access
215-850-4524
I wouldn't recommend it. If the train is in operation it could be very noisy, and for resale, you are cutting down on a future buyer.

Lori Damsker
Remax Access
215-850-4524
Speaking from personal experience....I grew up in one of these neighborhoods. One in which the passing trains caused the windows to rattle. In time, you don't even notice the trains. However, form a buyer's perspective, homes located near railroads, airports, freeways, industrial centers, landfills etc. have a stigma attached and are considered as being less desirable.

Eventhough the price in one of these locations may be attractive.....keep in mind, when you are ready to sell, your future buyer will be seeking the same level of opportunity.

If you are asking the question, so will others. that being said. visit the home at different times of the day. get a feel if YOU are comfortable. Most people hee properly said, near the station is a plus, too close could be perceieved negatively.
Dear Danamichael,
I believe that you are talking about SEPTA railroad tracks that carry commuters from East Falls into Center City. There is a slight negative if the house is really close to the tracks. On the other hand it is a plus to be near the station for anyone who needs to commute into the City. If that is your situation, you will be like a lot of buyers who choose East Falls because it is a lovely area overlooking Kelly Drive the Schulykill River, and and easy commute.
Hello Dana,

If you would like to schedule a showing of this property and to get a personal feel for the place give me a call. I would be happy to assist you. You can reach me at 267-688-1110

Warm Regards,

Keith
Danamichael, As long as the price reflects the location, you could get a good deal, however keep in mind that when you go to sell, you will face the same problem with a buyer. Houses with negatives like location are difficult to sell. They always need to be discounted enough for someone to see the value.

Before you decide, you might contact the RR company and find out how many times the train passes that area. Also, find out where the closest crossing is becaue the train has to blow a warning before crossing where cars cross. That could make it a lot worse if there is a crossing close by.

Remember in real estate the most important thing is location, location.

They say there is a buyer for everything. Just expect your resale to be a little longer to sell and usually at a more discounted price then other homes in the neighborhood. There is always a buyer who doesn't mind living next to the railroad tracks it's just a smaller pool of the market.