Akth, Home Buyer in 95051

question regarding new AC and Furnace permit inspection

Asked by Akth, 95051 Thu Jun 13, 2013

i am planning to get a new AC and Furnace for my house .My house has an added room with questionable permit. This room was added sometime in 1960.I had bought this house about 1.5 yrs back.
My question is, will the permit inspector (who comes to check the new AC and furnace) ask/check for the extra room permit also? or will he just check the
installation of the new AC and Heater? I just want to get a new AC and heater without any issues....

Answers

7
From my experience with city inspectors, they are not actively looking for unpermitted work to penalize homeowners. You can even call them and ask them this question anonymously. If there is something they encounter which they feel may be a hazard or poses a safety issue they will certainly request a permit. I have seen issues where patio's that were built and connected to the home with out permits had to be taken down. This was due to set back issues that the structure violated.

If the added structure is well done and does not have any safety issues, then more than likely they will not make an issue of it.

Since you purchased this home you can ask the inspector to see what it would take to have it permitted. Since it was done back in the 1960's then I am sure many things will have to be brought up to code in order for it to be retro permitted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
I think that I think that it would be best to get the furnace and the AC checked by the inspector, just to be sure. If he doesn't do so originally, I think it would be a good idea to ask him to go back and inspect it. Then you could get a much better assurance that everything is going well with your air conditioner and heater. These can be very temperamental and difficult to work with, so you will definitely want to make sure that it works properly and get that assured through your inspection! http://www.butlerheatingandair.com/products-new.html
Be nice to your neighbors. The city normally doesn't go out of their way to look for unpermitted structures, but they may be compelled to check something out if a neighbors calls them on it.
Thanks a lot Guys , for all your answers. The extra room is more like a covered patio added to the house.
After 53 years, who could tell the difference in construction?
Who would look for it?
The odds are atronomical!

In addition, the Company that you hire to do the A/C and Heater will be getting the PERMIT, no you.
Just don't stand there with a guilty look when the Inspector comes.
And don't tell anyone else.
Unfortunately there isn't much consistency with code enforcement. I had a neighbor who had attached his roof to a fence so that he would have the side yard of his house semi-enclosed. It could be seen from the street and was clearly not allowable. He built a new addition to the back of his house but was very friendly to the inspector. The inspector didn't flag his obviously non-allowable roof.

If your added room was a patio that was enclosed it may be very obvious that it was done without permits. However in general if it looks old, and there haven't been any complaints, they don't investigate past permit status. I suspect this is intentional. They want to have work done with permits. If they go searching for problems, homeowners would be more reluctant to get permits fearing turning a small project into a major headache. Also building codes change. Few old homes meet current building codes. Inspectors are alert for safety hazards but seldom require upgrading to current codes.

If work is obviously being done elsewhere on the property without a permit, they will probably flag that.

Get a permit for the new work. A furnace improperly installed without a permit could possibly invalidate your fire insurance. If you were to sell your house you would have to disclose that the furnace was installed without a permit.

Santa Clara real estate information at http://julianalee.com/santa-clara.htm
Santa Clara real estate statistics at http://julianalee.com/santa-clara/santa-clara-statistics.htm

Juliana Lee
Top 2 agent nationwide at Keller Williams Realty, the nations largest
Cell 650-857-1000

Over 20 years experience
Over 1,000 homes sold in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
.
Web Reference: http://julianalee.com
It's going to depend on the quality of the construction. Also depends on the inspector.

I don't think you can get a permit for something which has already been close up. If there is electrical and/or plumbing it would difficult for an inspector to determine if those items were done to code. Also, framing etc. Anything behind the wall probably would not be permitted after the fact.

If it appears dangerous then it could be called out. I imagine it being built in 1960 and you didn't have an issue when you purchased (if you got a loan) it may not even be noticeable as an addition.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com