Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Jigang, Renter in Houston, TX

question about buying a plot of land

Asked by Jigang, Houston, TX Mon Dec 17, 2012

If I buy a piece of land in Houston, will the plot of land be taxed? What can I do on the land? Can I change it into a field and grow vegetables and other foods such as maize and potatoes? If there are trees on it, can I chop them down? What if the land is in an urban area, is there any extra rules to make the land be compatible with its surroundings? Thank you.

Answers

2
Jigang,

You have posted several questions here on Trulia regarding purchasing, investing, etc. You also mentioned your from overseas. This is exciting that you are looking to invest in the Houston market, one of the top 10 markets in the U.S. for several years now.

It would be our recommendation to get with a Realtor here in Houston that can represent you and answer your questions one-on-one. On HAR.com, there is a feature regarding Multi-lingual Realtors. There are Realtors in Houston speaking over 93 languages! You can search for those Realtors that speak your native language!

Regarding the land, there are some rules and permits you might need to obtain if you plan to develop a raw piece of land. For agriculture on vacant land, typically no issues and possible tax breaks. Good luck with your investments!!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Yes the land will be taxed and depending on the deed restrictions in the area, they will dictate what you can and cannot do. In urban areas there are Homeowner's Associations, each one exclusive to a specific neighborhood that sets the rules. In the rural areas, there may or may not be deed restrictions.

Anna Maria Durr, NMLS 266699, TREC 596662, Codemark Financial
2626 Richmond Ave., Houston,Texas 77098, 281-592-0667