greatbay1997, Home Buyer in Gardiner, NY

putting in an offer with listing agent and broker present

Asked by greatbay1997, Gardiner, NY Thu Jan 23, 2014

i was recently offered a property i lost to a higher bid since there deal fell through. i would like to purchase the property but i feel that the listing agent is playing games and will not submit my offer if it does not generate a large enough commission. i want to be 100% confident that my offer is submitted. i am also considering not dealing with them at all because of how they treated me the last time and feel that i have nowhere to complain about this agent. can i have them submit my offer to the owners while i am present?

Answers

4
Being offered the property you want and lost to a higher bidder is a good sign. You've been invited back to the table. Since your concern is with the listing agent and (thankfully) not your own, express your concerns to him or her and ask how they can ensure your offer is (actually) presented. The issue and responsibility of presentation belongs to your agent - not you as the Buyer. And your agent "should" be able to present your offer directly to the Seller unless the Seller objects to such an arrangement. Additionally, if your agent suspects something is going array, they can enlist the assistance of their Broker who can contact the listing agent's Broker.

Again, being invited back to the table is a good thing! Best of luck to you, and let us know how it goes.
Your issue is one of "dual agency." This is one agent representing both the buyer and seller.

My recommendation is a simple one. Identify an agent that will represent only you.....not the listing agent to present your offer. This may make the difference you are seeking.

It's not my agent that I am not happy with. It is the agent that the property is listed with. She has been rude through the entire process from day one and purposely not returning phone calls, emails and not returning paperwork also. I lost this property a month ago due to a higher offer. Needless to say I was not informed for over a week, and when she finally decided to Inform us it was only because my agent had called to ask why my attorney had not heard from there attorney. I almost want to knock on the owners doors so I can inform them of how there agent is treating me. But have been advised by numerous people not to do so.
Your agent is supposed to represent your best interests. If you feel they are not doing so, I recommend contacting their broker and asking for another agent.