Home Buying in Richmond>Question Details

jbluffton, Home Buyer in Bluffton, SC

property with a cemetery on it. House has a lot of pluses, large parcel there is an easement for visitors, would this be a negative for resale?

Asked by jbluffton, Bluffton, SC Thu Feb 21, 2013

Answers

4
Charlotte Shirey’s answer
Possibly. For some it is a plus, others a minus - it is hard to quantify! I think you need to weigh all factors in light of your goals and how it the overall location, price and features of a property line up.
I personally would not invest in a home with a cemetery on that property as I do feel it would definitely hurt the resale. Think about it, there are bodies buried on your property and you cannot move them as that is now considered sacred ground. I feel that too many people would not feel comfortable with that, especially if family members would be visiting the grave sites.
There are many rural, family properties that have a private cemetery. If it is at the edge of the property and near the beginning of the right of way, I think you could spin it as having a "heritage" charm. I do agree with Mr. Rorive, some buyers will be turned off by the mere thought of a "heritage" cemetery (or any "access" to their property), some won't care if the access does not interfere with their quiet enjoyement of their new home and others might find it a "head start" on their Halloween festivities (although those are a very distinct minority).

If it is a historical property, the cemetery could add to the "history" of the property.
jbluffton,

Any easement on a property could be a negative for resale... It all depends on the buyers. Somewhere out there, are buyers that will buy the parcel thinking that the easment and visitors are just fine. These buyers may just take a little longer to find the property than those that say: " Oh no, I can't deal with that..."

Best of luck.