Rick, Home Buyer in Gloucester, MA

previous purchase question

Asked by Rick, Gloucester, MA Wed Feb 22, 2012

I would like to know if it is legal to give a consumers personal information to a friend about the date they submitted an offer, the date of a home inspection and purchase & sales information?

Answers

3
Michele Allison-Elwell CBR’s answer
Was the consumer a customer or client?
They really should have the CLIENTS best interest at heart . Nothing should be said without permission. Realtors are held to a code of ethics. Regular plain real estate agents are not. Big difference. When a consumer is a CLIENT - all info is to be held confidential. When you are a plain customer who does not sign and understand agency , then you are not a client and may be treated differently.
In the future , please request a confidentiality contract be signed . Protect your rights and privacy. As a buyer submitting an offer, you can make it so that the seller agent and seller can not share your offered price, terms, dates etc with anyone else. Real important , especially in little towns where everyone knows everyone or where people tend to have a big mouth.
michelea@remax.net
Depends on the relationship you have with the agent. (I am assuming you are talking about a real estate agent) If they are a buyer's agent, no! They owe you confidentiality and loyalty.

If they are a facilitator, then almost anything goes.

If it is the seller you are talking about then there is no confidentiality.

In the case of the seller or facilitator, while not illegal, I find it unethical.

Buyer's as a side note: Please, please, take the time to understand agency relationships. More buyers are less than satisfied because they do not understand the relationship they have with their agent.
If you did not sign a non-disclosure agreement.....
As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people out there gathering information about every sale to use in their statistics books. Don't be surprised if someone approaches you.

A lot has changed in my lifetime, (I'm an O.F.), when I was young, people talked: Didn't worry about it. Nowadays; people are afraid to say the wrong thing or talk to the wrong person. Too much paranoia out then; rightly so.

Good luck and may God bless