Home Buying in Covington>Question Details

Pam, Other/Just Looking in Denver County, CO

please explain flood zones as far as cost, likely to flood ect?

Asked by Pam, Denver County, CO Thu Nov 3, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Flood zone A means that the area floods a lot. Flood zone B means it floods sometimes. Flood zone C rarely floods and flood zone X does not flood at all. In flood A and B you will have to buy flood insurance. It is required by most lenders. If you are in a C or an X and don't buy it you will not be covered for things like the bathroom flooding or pipes bursting because that is also considered flooding so I feel that you should have coverage at all times.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 29, 2013
Shawna, flood insurance doesn't cover bathroom flooding from pipes bursting. Homeowner's covers those things. Flood insurance pays only for damages caused by the rising of a body of water that covers normally dry land.
Flag Fri Mar 29, 2013
There are other labels, but the three basic flood zones are A, B, & C. A is "worst-most likely to flood" with C being the "best" or least likely to flood. If a property is in an 'A' zone, a lender will normally require you to pay for flood insurance in order to get their financing. They want to protect their funds.

Regarding cost: it depends upon the zone and how high your home is raised above the ground. It can range anywhere from a few hundred dollars per year to several thousand. It doesn't matter who you buy the coverage from, the rate is the same, being set by the government. My own home is in an 'A' zone and I pay about $425 per year, but it's raised about 3 feet above ground level. The flood elevation (set by FEMA) for my lot is 1 foot above ground level. That means my home would need to be raised at least 1 foot to get flood insurance. That it's raised a couple of extra feet lowers my annual premium, as if there was a flood, the water would not be expected to get higher than 1 foot, so it would be highly unlikely that water will ever enter my home.

Check out my web site at: http://www.TheBestOfBothWorlds.Biz I've got lot's of useful content for you no matter where you live.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 4, 2011
Your flood zone designation is used By insurance companies to determine your flood insurance premium. In Louisiana, the premium can be as little as $240 per year and I've seen as high as $4500 per year.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Flood zones are land areas identified by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Each flood zone describes that land area in terms of its risk of flooding. Everyone lives in a flood zone–it's just a question of whether you live in a low, moderate, or high risk area. A Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) is a map created by the National Flood Insurance Program for floodplain management and insurance purposes. Digital versions of these maps are called DFIRMs.
A FIRM will generally show a community's base flood elevations, flood zones, and floodplain boundaries. As a property owner/renter, you can use this map to get a reliable indication of what flood zone you're in. However, maps are constantly being updated due to changes in geography, construction and mitigation activities, and meteorological events. Therefore, for a truly accurate determination, contact your insurance agent or company, or your community floodplain manager.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Hi Pam,

Flood Zones are determined by the FEMA map and it can run to thousands of dollars annually. Here is a link to their site : http://www.fema.gov/hazard/map/index.shtm.

An elevation certificate can help you avoid the cost of the expensive flood insurance if applicable.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Living here on a sandbar in the Atlantic we deal with flood zones daily. Cost is determined by elevation, the higher the better and the less expensive. Most areas have flood zone maps that show the areas that are apt to flood and they are zoned by elevation. If the ground is high enough above the flood zone the lender will not require that you have it, you can always add it if you choose to. Some areas are low or apt to flood, like near a river or an ocean, and lenders will require that you carry flood insurance. Most people use FEMA flood insurance as it is the cheapest. Prices vary so talk to your insurance agent to get a quote.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 3, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer