Home Buying in Bowling Green>Question Details

Yoosif Yahya…, Home Buyer in Bowling Green, KY

my sons in WKU, will be in bowling green 4 to 5 yrs, do you advise me to buy a home or rent an apart which is costing me about 1000 usd per month

Asked by Yoosif Yahya Fallata, Bowling Green, KY Wed Jan 2, 2013

Answers

8
CLAYANDREWS’s answer
I HAVE A HOUSE FOR SALE THAT IS 4 BLOCKS FROM wku FOR SALE, AND YOU WOULD BE PAYING WAY LESS IN MORTGAGE, THAN RENT. 3 BEDROOM, 1 AND 1/2 BATH, DETACHED 2 AND 1/2 CAR GARAGE. ALMOST 1600 SQUARE FEET, AND FENCED BACK YARD. PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO LOOK AT IT CLAYANDREWS@GMAIL.COM
I suggest buying. I was faced with a similar situation while attending WKU and I chose to buy. It ended up being nearly $100 less paying mortgage than renting a one bedroom apartment for $700 a month. Our house is 7 minutes from campus and has 3 bedroom and 2 bathrooms. We are actually looking to sell this home now. It would be great especially for someone who has 1 or 2 roommates. MUCH cheaper than an apartment. If you think you'd be interested in more details, you can e-mail me for my phone number. jclayd@msn.com
Renting an apartment near WKU should not be costing you anywhere near 1000 a month. Someone is ripping you off.
If I was you, I will look into a well cared for home short sale or foreclosure. Any thing has a risk though. good luck.
I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a house. You probably should. But you should also consider that you are essentially asking the spider if he'd like fly for breakfast (you being the fly). When my clients ask me for advice, I always remind them that I sometimes will profit from the advice I give. Good luck.
Yoosif,
If you have to pay anywhere near 1000.00 per month then a purchase would absolutely be the way to go. Many parents purchase a home for their children to live in during their time at wku. With the interest rates as low as they are right now it would probably make more sense to purchase and then either resell or rent after your son graduates. If your son should decide to stay in the bowling green area after his time at wku is done then possibly he could either rent or purchase the home from you. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can help you further.
Gary Wantland 270-535-9323
Weichert-Realtors
Yes, there are many homes available to look at for wku students here in bowling green ky. For 1 student as low as 500 a month. Would you like to see some of them? If so, call me anytime 270 784 4221
With the low interest rates today it could be quite beneficial to purchase a home instead of a rental option. If you purchase a 3 bedroom home you could also rent out a couple of those rooms too to some friends of your son's in order to offset the monthly payment as well. Then once your son graduates from WKU you could sell the home or potentially continue to rent this house to others attending the university. If you would like to discuss these options in person I would be glad to work with you. Please contact me at my phone number below.

Jim Cummings
ERA Premier Realty Partners
cell # 270-792-3140