Dc3, Home Buyer in 08081

my landlord is selling, she wants to put a lock box on the door, can I request her not to

Asked by Dc3, 08081 Sun Mar 28, 2010

Answers

9
OK Joe, you deserve a thumbs up for that answer - just wish I had gotten there first !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
You should first check your lease to see if it addresses this. My leases all say that the landlord can show the property via lockbox with at least one hour notice. You can also read the NJ Truth in Renting brochure.... http://www.state.nj.us/dca/codes/lt/pdf/t_i_r.pdf This may speak to the issue as well.

Just because the landlord wants to sell the property, doesn't mean that you have to move out. Landlords are obligated to offer you a renewal lease. Read the Truth in Renting brochure. I assume you WANT to move out?

I think the best approach is for both you and your landlord to work together, be reasonable and understanding of each others interests. Personally, I think it's reasonable for a landlord to have a lockbox for showings. I don't think it's reasonable for a tenant to ask for 24 hours notice on showings. If there are unique circumstances, then they should be discussed and worked out ahead of time.

Don't forget, if you're going to buy, you've got like a month to still get the $8000 tax credit.

I hope that's helpful... if so, click the "thumbs up" below,

Joe
---------------------------------
Joe Montenigro REMAX Home Team
Broker, GRI (856)374-2800 x106
Serving Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp & South Jersey Real Estate Markets
Read my Blog at http://hometeamNJ.com/blog
Meet me at http://www.facebook.com/JoeMontenigro
My Tours: http://hometeamnj.com/search/virtual-tours
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
One more note added to the already great answers: there is a lockbox permission form that must be signed by you as the tenant to allow a box to be put on the property!
Joe answered this very well, and I just wanted to point out a couple of other things. Will you be staying in the property once it sells? If so, you don't want to appear to be uncooperative by the new owner who start off by being one of those prospective buyers trying to get in to see the place. They'll be the person writing your new lease when the time comes, or if you're month to month then you'll want to have a good relationship with them. I'd not only cooperate with the showings as much as you can, but make sure the place is spotless too, or the new owner may not want to keep you as a tenant going forward.
Dc3:

Whether or not you have a lease, you should talk to your landlord regarding your concern about a lockbox. You can offer to have the house ready for a showing of the home with reasonable advance notice, normally 24 hrs notice. Your landlord could meet a Realtor at your home to let the Realtor inside. If you have a lease, there should be a provision for this situation. If you don't have a lease & the landlord is not reasonable, then you should talk to an Attorney who handles Residential Real Estate matters.
Hello DC3,
Thanks for your question.
Yes, the owner can sell and prepare the house to be shown and that includes a lockbox for easy access to the house. However, as a tenant you have rights described in the lease that you signed that the landlord has to give you advance notice should the house sells and any showings prior to that. You need to talk to your Landlord after you read in detail the section related to the sale of the home you are renting. All detail should be there.
Ines De La Cruz
inesdelacruz@remax.net
856-988-1800 ext 169
Web Reference: http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Depends on your lease--does your lease make provisions for issues regarding showing the property to prospective buyers and lock box usage--If you don't have a lease, check with your local housing agency or consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate--most professionals do offer a free consultation.
Hello!
How are you doing?
Oh, well! It is going to be some uncomfortable time for you, and you don't feel like someone will be in your home while you are away, yes, you can tell your landlord, that you don't want lockbox being at the house, but on another hand you have to cooperate with any Realtor who wants to show the house and be home for all appointments.
Your lease will have a section that speaks about if the landlord decides to sell. They will have to give you "reasonable notice" as to when someone will be scheduling an appt. I understand that you don't want someone just to walk in on you. Its best that you speak to your landlord. They will need your cooperation in order to sell.