Question Details

barquetrecor…, Renter in Sacramento, CA

my landlord did a short sale, do i still pay rent?

Asked by barquetrecords, Sacramento, CA Mon Jan 28, 2013

the landlord told me they did a short sale and the paperwork is being processed by the bank, but i still have to pay them rent, the new owner came by the house and said not to pay anything the bank will notify us to move, the landlord said it was someone trying to scam us and not to listen to them, are trying to get over on me? what do i do?

Answers

2
Until the property is closed and the new owners have taken possession you have a responsibility to the owner for your rental obligation. To not pay the rent could result in possible legal complications for you. Until there is an ownership change, DO NOT pay anyone other than the owner of record, to which you have an agreement.

Your situation is a bit confusing. If it's a short sale, then the bank won't be involved in your lease. Until the short sale transaction closes and the new owner can show he has clear title to the property, you should continue paying your landlord according to the lease agreement. After the new owner can show ownership of the property, you can work out a new lease with them.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com