Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Andwalt, Home Buyer in San Antonio, TX

my husband and I are moving to San Antonio June 2013...when is a good time to begin our home search?

Asked by Andwalt, San Antonio, TX Mon Jul 30, 2012

Answers

8
Well that really depends on your needs. Each buyer is unique but usually has one or two driving influences that drive their choice the strongest (among the influences are the proximity to work, proximity to a good school for a child if you have one, or the local tax rate if you are looking to retire). But to more accurately answer the question, you have to put the timeline in reverse. The average closing time to close in June is about 45-60 days for a home that will be financed and as short as 14-21 days if you pay cash, it is the high point of the selling season. On average it takes about 2-4 weeks to find the right home if you have done all the background research on the homes that most appeal to your needs. Before that, you need to be ready to make a move by having your lender all set with your documentation. The best houses move the fastest so whoever can spot it first can and put their ducks in a row first usually wins the race. Homes start hitting the market in numbers during April / May. So having made your choice by mid-May would best suit your needs to close a home by end of June.
Any more questions ? ? ?

Gregory Touchstone
Select New Homes, LLC
210-660-2834
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 30, 2012
Wow... that's bunch of info just to answer what you wanted to know... Let me give you the short version :)

If you are going to build a new home - Start in November of this year

If you are going to buy a home on the ground - Start looking aboug 60 days before you will be here as anything you see between now and then will likely be long gone..

Mortgage - Do a quick pre-qual right now, just to see if there will be any issues with your fiancing, so you have almost a year to fix them.

I like short answers that get right to the point ;) LOL!

Jason C Campbell
Option One Real Estate
210-389-5266
.
http://www.SAHomeExpert.com
I agree with Gregory, but I would also add that it really also depends on your personality. I have had many buyers lately not find exactly what they are looking for in the preowned market and they have decided to build. Now, I will say that it is very difficult to build a home when you are not here, but I have had clients take a vacation here and we did some shopping in the new home construction as they new they were particular and they found exactly what they were looking for at the time. I was here through the building process and took numerous pictures and made sure it went smoothly. However, this is not for everyone. But I wanted to make sure you knew it was possible and it does take some time so you must take that into consideration if you want to build.

Additionally, I have had 4 children go through the school district here and I have found that whether you have children or not, schools do matter for resale purposes, so please keep these in mind. Also, access to highways in San Antonio are very important. I would be happy to send you maps and a welcome package if you are interested.

If there is anything I can do to help make your transition easier, pleaes let mek now. I was in the Air Force for 22 years and I know what it is like to move to a new location. Transitions are difficult, but they can be made a whole lot easier and that is my job.

I am looking forward to welcoming you to San Antonio.

Terri Saari, Realtor®
GRI, CNE, SFR, e-Pro, ABR, AHLS, CHMS, CNHS
Certified Relocation Specialist
Retired United States Air Force
Kimberly Howell Properties
21252 Gathering Oak, Ste 100, San Antonio TX 78260
210-887-3477 Cell
210-493-6888 Office
210-493-7002 Fax
http://www.WelcomeHomeToSA.com
Texas' FIVE STAR Realtor 2012 and 2011 as seen in Texas Monthly
Platinum Top 50 Award Winner 2011

Texas Law requires all Real Estate Licensees to give the following information about brokerage services: Please click or cut and paste this URL into your browser Http://www.trec.state.tx.us/pdf/contracts/OP-K.pdf
You are one year away - if you are not familiar with San Antonio, you need to look at areas in San Antonio that might provide you the lifestyle, school systems, and location you are looking for. Check my website " http://;www.eCasaRealty.com" and the various links including school systems. Take your time and do your research. Contact two of three agents and ask them for information - the agent willing to provide information without the commitment to use his services is the agent you want.
It is a great time to sit with a lender now, to see what you need to do to prepare for your mortgage, and then monitor your creditor report once between now and the time you plan to start looking.

To avoid last minute stress:

I suggest you begin to familiarize yourself with the logistics of the city and narrow down the areas where you might like to live. There are distinct cultural differences in some of the areas of the city, and different lifestyles, such as downtown urban, midtown urban, condo, gated and ungated, HOA or non-HOA.

Learn about the issues San Antonio has with soil and foundation stability so you are familiar with what to look for before your search.

Ask around for feedback on schools. Do not rely only on data from the districts or state as your sole resource.

About the month of February, begin watching the property listings and getting to know what you like in your price range. You obtain your price range from your lender pre-approval appointment. A San Antonio Lender is recommended.

We offer extensive consultation and feedback on any number of topics about the metro area.
Visit homes-satx.com for current listings and trends in the markets of San Antonio with listings delivered to your email and email communications with our team.

We will be happy to help!

Leticia Sanders, BA, GRI, SRS, ABR
homes-satx.com
Keller Williams - Alamo Heights
1812 Nacogdcohes
San Antonio TX 78209
Specializing in Extraordinary Service
210-279-5279 voice or text
Leticia@LeticiaSanders.com
I would start no later than March 2013. Your loan pre-approval letter will probably have an initial valid period of 90 days. If you can narrow down some homes and aggressively search in the beginning of March, that should put you in line. Assume 1-3 weeks for house hunting depending on your requirements and availability, then assume 2-7 days for negotiations, then assume 45-60 days for closing on the deal with inspections, survey, appraisal, loan processing, title commitment, etc. (you can probably close in 30 days, but anticipating a longer time will account for problems that sometimes arise).

With this time window, you're looking at 2.5 - 3 months, which is March, for a June move. Hope that helps!

Darrell D. Drouillard
Home Team of America
16719 Huebner Rd., Bldg 4
San Antonio, Texas 78248
210-373-6160
210-881-6760 (Fax)

http://www.dddrealtor.com

'Serving all Your Real Estate Needs'
I would probably start investigating things that are important....... if you are worried about schools, wondering about different areas you may be interested in, special needs, etc. Also, I would contact a lender just to make sure that your credit is where it needs to be. I have had people wait and then are shocked to find charges that aren't theirs, identity theft, all kinds of things that can take MONTHS to fix.

If you want to start some initial fact finding or want some information, give me a call or send me an email. I have found that through the internet, the more communication we can have BEFORE you get here, the easier and quicker it is to find the home and move in when the time comes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Stefanie Patterson,
ABR, CRS, GRI, e-Pro, ALS, ALHS, TAHS, SRES, green, TRLP, REALTOR
RE/MAX North San Antonio
Cell - 210-501-9133
Fax - 210-468-1868
stefanie@stefaniepatterson.net

MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR PRODUCER SINCE 2003!
Hi Andwalt,

I would probably wait at around 6 months beforehand to start the initial search. A year out is a little premature given that the homes that you find right now, will most likely not be available by the time you get here.

Additionally, depending on what type of loan you are getting for the home, most lenders can qualify you better the closer you get to being here.

Are you military? I only ask, because many of my military clients know they are heading here about this far out.

Anyway, I would be glad to start working with you if you like. Again, though, it's probably a bit early in the game to start a serious home search. Contact me if you like :)! In the meantime, feel free to browse my website for homes :)!

Brenda Mullen
Realtor®, ABR, ePro
RE/MAX Access
210-807-0819
brenda.mullen@sbcglobal.net
Thanks for the info. Not military...medical. My husband starts residency out there next year.
Flag Mon Jul 30, 2012