cooldyna, Home Owner in Newport, MN

my home has an updated electric service, all breakers are full, 7/8 of them have 'new ' wire

Asked by cooldyna, Newport, MN Mon Jun 17, 2013

most of the wire inside and out I have found is still cloth covered 2 wire no ground. I have only found a hand full of breakers being used. what are mn laws for sellers deceiving the buyer on electrical

Oh . . . did you have an inspection? I know sometimes when they say 'updated electrical' it only means the box and not the wiring inside the walls. Check the paperwork, call your agent/attorney to see if there's anything there to go on.

If you like this answer or if it was useful to you, a quick click on the green 'thumbs up' would be appreciated.

Kim Eisen
"Helping People Make Smart Real Estate Decisions since 1980"
(651) 457-HOME (4663)

Hi, cooldyna!
hmmm, I'm not sure I understand your question. You don't say when you bought the house or what the seller told you about the electrical. There are no specific rules about what sellers are required to disclose with regard to electrical. That's why buyers are strongly encouraged to have a home inspection done. And, pursuant to that inspection, if you felt further scrutiny was needed, you could request an inspection to be done by an electrician or something.

Thing is, I'm wondering, did the seller tell you that ALL of the wiring was new or just the electrical panel was updated or did they say nothing? If they told you in writing or through their agent that all of the electrical, including the wiring, you may consider opening this up as an arbitration or a court case, depending on the expense and what type of paper work was signed when you purchased the property.

Your agent that you used when you purchased the property should, at the very least, be able to help you ferret out the particulars of what information was exchanged when you purchased. AND, since I don't know anything other than what you've posed here, I will strongly suggest that you seek legal advice from an attorney before you make your decision about what to do.

Good luck!!
You need to look at the two main circuit breakers:
Printed on them will be 100 or 200 or maybe 400;
this is the max number of Amps.
You want at least 200.
Everything else couuld be just a repair job.