Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Nj253, Other/Just Looking in Hamburg, NJ

my boyfriend purchased a home. I'll be putting $ towards the house but my name will not be on mortgage. Can my name go on the house deed?

Asked by Nj253, Hamburg, NJ Tue Jan 31, 2012

Certain people have been telling me my name can be put onto the deed since I will be putting $ into the home. However, other people say that because my name is not going on the mortgage, he cannot put my name on the house deed.

Answers

6
You could in my area and in my shop, ask his loan officer, which is the only answer that matters. Better question for you is why? How do you divorce someone you are not married to?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 31, 2012
Nj243,

Generally speaking you can go on the title, but not the loan, but you cannot go on the loan and not the title. In other words, you cannot encumber a property for which you have no ownership interest. However, if you are deeded ownership it does not need to involve a lien (mortgage).

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
In NJ you certainly can and it seems like you should
Yes you can be put on the deed. Then you are part owner in the house. It just will not help your credit by having the mortgage paid. But, on the other hand, if he ever defaults on the mortgage, it does not hurt your credit either. My ex husband did that with our house. I was on the deed. He defaulted on the mortgage and ruined his credit. And I sued him in court for letting the house go into foreclosure, and he ended up owing me 35,000 for doing that, since I was still part owner of the house. Good luck.

Kelly
Weichert Realtors
856-313-4161
Yes you can NJ253, it's permissable and since your money is involved in the transaction I suggest youdo so.
NJ253 your name can most certainly be put on the deed and I suggest you do so to protect your financial interest.