Home Buying in Oakland>Question Details

Bio-mats.com…, Home Buyer in Roseburg, OR

mold into home from slab foundation, mold in the sheetrock of the barn?

Asked by Bio-mats.com/lymeover, Roseburg, OR Mon Jan 23, 2012

Hi, I'm new to buying a home, first timer here. I'm looking at a short sale. I have been told by my doctor to move because of mold issues in my current living situation. So I'm looking now. I was told to stay away from homes with slab foundations and good with home with crawl spaces. I home I like has a slab floor in the basement and the side of the basement. This climate is dryer then where we live now and warmer in the summer. The home has a pool in the ground and concrete slab around the pool and the basement that leads out to the pool area. The gutters look like they are moving the rain out of the way of the walls and percollation through the ground. Is this a concern with the slab foundation? Also the barn has moldy sheetrock. I need to store fabric/leather inventory there most in boxes. How do I de-mold the walls after removing the sheetrock. Dirt floor is dry. Barn is metal siding and roof with insulation. Can flooring be made of 2x4 on side supporting plywood? Is this cheaper?

Answers

1
If the home has a basement, then it is not a slab foundation.An Alaskan slab foundation has the home perched upon a single cement pad under which the tundra/ground can move by frost. Then we found out this works in other areas as well. If there is no mold in the basement, then that is good.

In the barn, you have a coule of choices. There are products which will remove mold (Home Depot sells one - I don't remember the name, however). Use a respirator if you do the work yourself. Sheetrock is a good medium in which for mold to grow. Cool moist temperatures and poor ventilation provide just what it needs. An alternative is to replace the sheetrock in the barn with another product, standards for barns being lower than for homes. Wood and plastic products will work. Even ugly old paneling sheets will work. You can sometimes find these for free from someone who is remodeling. Get a fan in there if it starts to come back.