Home Buying in Pittsford>Question Details

Tmomma, Home Buyer in Raleigh, NC

looking to relocate with small kids... not sure if i should buy right away or rent for a small time frame in

Asked by Tmomma, Raleigh, NC Mon Jan 21, 2008

order to find the perfect house

Answers

9
While I am not a 'Real Estate Pro', I am a life long resident of the Rochester area. My advice to you is this: first decide what the most important items are in terms of the type of area you would like to reside in. While the qualities of your house are important, the town that you choose is more so. This will be the community that your children grow up in, the school district that they will attend, and the neighborhood that you will come home to everynight, so you will want to make sure that these factors are taken into consideration. There are many suburbs of Rochester, NY. Most are wonderful, but some border the city, and it is apparent. While you may love your house, you could hate your neighborhood, regret buying, and end up wasting alot of money to move somewhere else. My final opinion... rent a nice townhome for a year in a suburb of interest, get to know the area, and explore other suburbs at your leisure to make a decision you and your family will be happy with for years and years.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2008
I've moved to 9 cities in 28 years. I love Rochester.
However, it takes 2 years to understand the community you live in, the traffic flow, political drift, and demographic trends and the relative layout and proximity to services. Rent if you can stand it.
Be well.
Mary
Very good question Tmomma! You need to make contact with an agent in the Rochester area and discuss your needs. In Rochester we have a good inventory of homes on the market and I can e-mail you a list of them along with pictures and important information i.e. (school,tax,churches etc.) if you will e-mail me back I will send you any information you need.

Larry Timmons
Hunt Real Estate ERA
Fairport Office
(585) 410-2053
I've had many clients that have made the move long distance with only 1 visit to Rochester (5 days) to buy a home. This process can be worked out well for you provided you start your search early. In my experience, my clients have been set up on a search for months to look at homes in different areas, gained knowledge from me, their future HR department, and colleagues they've met in the area. Using this knowledge we were able to narrow our search to 3 areas.

When they came into town -- we drove those areas - I pointed out the areas of interest and they decided on a town/home they liked. In my recent discussions with my client ... they area very happy with their decision.

If you'd like to discuss your options further feel free to contact me.

Michael Walker
Century 21 Premier Properties
585-872-3020 ext. 43
MIke@MikeWalkerHomes.com
The answer to your question - It depends.

You have needs and they should be shared with a Real Estate professional. It is their obligation to assess your needs and wants and to assist you in finding the right housing situation for you.
A real estate professional works for you and does not divulge any private information to others without your express permission. There are many variables involved in a home buy or apt rental search so contact a pro and ask the questions of him or her.
Tmomma,

This may depend on where you're moving to. If you know the area then you should consider buying. It is defintely a buyers market in many places. If you decide to rent, you should still try to pick the best area for you and your family. This way when you decide to buy, you have a good shot in stay in the same area and your kids will hopefully be able to keep the same school and friends.

Dorit Katz
Realty Teams
Pomona, NY
845-642-0835
if you are relocating to a place with which you are not familiar, it is probably better to rent while you decide where you wish to live. My kids were plucked up many times during their youth, different cities, states and eventually a different country. Their study habits and understanding the value of education was formulated at home. They are now high achievers, very successful adults with an ability to deal with change and speak several languages.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
It is difficult to answer your question without more information. I take it you are planning to relocate to Rochester NY . Pittsford is a growing suburb of Rochester and has a lot of new construction or newer constructed homes along with a fair amount existing homes. Fairport, Brighton and Henrietta are close by suburbs with a good number available homes. We are not in the situation as many other cities are throughout the country.
Is this a corporate move? Will they provide relocation assistance? If so, check on the benefit package because a lot of corporate assistance now only extends to the initial move. In other words, if you are moved to a city and buy a house they usually cover your moving and closing costs. If you move and rent initially but buy a year later, you may give up your closing cost benefit because you didn't close on a house within that company's fiscal year.
Feel free to contact me to further discuss the opportunities as well as rental options available.
Joe Sorrentino
Realty USA
joe@joesorrentino.com
Web Reference: http://joesorrentino.com
Having recently done this myself, I can speak with a level of authority... If you know the community you are moving to very well, buying is a great option right now. You have the pick of the litter for homes and financing is great for well qualified buyers. Buying right away was easier on my kids as we didn't have to pull them away from a home they had gotten used to if we were renting. The downside is if you buy quickly in the wrong neighborhood/ school district, you're stuck and may end up resenting your decision in the long run.