Home Buying in Fonda>Question Details

Scorpio55, Home Buyer in Gloversville, NY

looking to purchase a house in Fonda, that is about 50 years old. It's in great shape, structural, inside and out.. My concern is it has a dug

Asked by Scorpio55, Gloversville, NY Mon Oct 11, 2010

well. I've been told that the couple the lived there previously, never had a problem. Does anyone know anything about dug wells, that could pass the info along? I appreciate it.

I once lived in the Mohawk Valley of New York State and we had a 150-200 year old hand dug well. Our house had been abandoned for years so my husband climbed down the well and cleaned it. We had to have water delivered to the well to fill it up some, and the water came back on its own in a couple of months.

Anyway, we had the water tested and there was some contamination due to the orig. condition of the hand dug well. Things had fallen into it for years before a concrete slab was installed in the 1950's or so. We found everything from cast iron toys to animal bones in there. We had the water tested, and the water was contaminated but easily treatable for home use. But, I ended up boiling the drinking water anyway just to be on the safe side. With any hand dug well, the water should be tested before drinking. Some people live in places for years drinking the water out of streams, old wells ect., and never sick. I think they must build up an immunity or something. But, the water gave me a sore throat right away, so I knew something was wrong. I sure miss that old well with the pitcher pump. I remember going outside on a freezing winter night with the sky so clear you could see the Northern Lights. Beauitful area.
You need to be careful for contamination in the water, but when buying a home with any type of well it is a good idea to test the water quality at least once per year. Here is some information on dug wells.

Web Reference: http://teamlefebvre.net