Home Buying in Chapel Hill>Question Details

MTONY39M, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

looking to purchase a condo in walking distance to stores and resturants. condo can be in an old/young area. where should I look in Chapel Hill?

Asked by MTONY39M, Staten Island, NY Thu Aug 22, 2013

Answers

11
Governors Village Townhomes offers walking to grocery, cleaners, pharmacy, bank, restaurants and to the community amenities and a lake with a walking trail around. Wonderful location and low county taxes! I have a 2-bedroom townhome listed at $250,000 in this community.

I will be happy to assist in your search.

Kay

Kay Dunson
Fonville Morisey Realty, a Long & Foster Company
919-210-6738
kdunson@fmrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 25, 2013
Hi Tony: I responded earlier to your question and since then have decided to sell one or two of my own properties. If you are still looking to buy a condo close to shopping I can offer you 2 different options, depending on the price range you are comfortable with and the location. Feel free to call me at 919-960-6332 or reply via Trulia at your convenience. Mark
There are several options in Chapel Hill or more planned in the near future. In the downtown area there is 140 West Franklin. Further down the road is a townhome community right across from two shopping centers with shops, groceries, and restaurants. That neighborhood is called Franklin Grove. Then over on Hwy 54 as you come into Chapel Hill is a complex called East 54....all very new shopping. And finally over in Carrboro, a big condo complex called Greenbridge. What price range are you looking for?
Hi Tony: Your options will include a range of 1 to 3+ bedrooms and prices from the low $100k to $1MM+. This is not one of the boroughs and the environment will be different of course, so if you are not familiar with the area I will be happy to consult with you and send you options.

Your fellow Yankee,

Mark
919-960-6332
civiokm@hpw.com
Shoot me an email with the criteria for your condo ($, beds, baths, etc), this will determine what is actually available to you in your search. kevywan@gmail.com
I have a listing that sounds like what you want. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo located in the heart of the commercial district in Meadowmont in Chapel Hill. This unit is on the 2nd level above the retail businesses. It is within walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants in Meadowmont, which include a major grocery store. Meadowmont also has a UNC Wellness Center and YMCA along with walking trails and parks. This unit is priced at $439,000, which is $20,000 below what a similar unit closed for recently. You can see photos of the property as well as some Meadowmont's amenities on this virtual tour:

http://savvytours.com/virtual_tours/13180/motion_picture

I am happy to answer any questions or arrange for you to see the property.

John Goddin
Goddin Real Estate & GRE Photography
John@GoddinRealEstate.com
http://www.GoddinRealEstate.com
http://www.GREPhotography.com
919-968-2100
Chapel Hill is not a huge metropolis so there aren't a lot of options. Also, when one says Chapel Hill, most include Carrboro. There are 2 main condo complexes downtown--140 W. Franklin and Greenbridge. My husband and I bought a condo at 140 W. Franklin because we want to be able to walk out the door and go to restaurants, the theater, etc. We want the life and energy on the street. Our condo is not yet finished so we haven't moved in yet, and I can't wait to be there.

There are new housing complexes being built but most will be rentals. 140 is over 80% sold, Greenbridge is over 50% sold. Both are expensive, Greenbridge less so because the owners went through foreclosure a few years back. Residents of both love living there. I know of a 1 bed w/office at Greenbridge that is being sold by the owner--it has many upgrades that don't exist in other units. A lot depends on your price range.

People love living in Carrboro though there are very few condos. There are a few townhouses within walking distance to the center that occasionally come on the market. How big a place do you need/want? One floor or 2? Many more questions to come.

One other complex mentioned is East 54. Two other options are Meadowmont and Southern Village, both of which have condos near their centers. Again, all are pretty expensive by NC standards, perhaps reasonable by NY standards.

People who choose to move here tend to love it here, especially transplanted New Yorkers!

Would love to talk with you.

Vivian Olkin, aka CrazyViv
I would be happy to assist, I am very familiar with Chapel Hill. You are going look at Franklin street, Southern Village and Meadowmont. I would also consider Carborro
Michael
Hello;
I first have to say that some of this depends upon your price range and size expectations. Townhomes/condos range from older, smaller and basic to very chic, upscale and higher prices. There are two areas that give you the opportunity to walk to shopping, restaurants and other amenities. One location is downtown Chapel Hill both on Franklin Street and on Rosemary Street. This is an urban setting with all of the lifestyle that goes with it. The prices are a bit higher for these but it depends what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. There is another location in Southern Village which is a planned village concept with bikeways, greenways, walking trails, sidewalks and a town center that includes a movie theater and shops as well as a village town commons. Another option: Meadowmont as well as East 54 both in the same location as you enter Chapel Hill.

I am happy to assist you with these or any other locations that you might consider and like. I am quite familiar with all of the options having just gone through this with someone requesting the very same thing as they relocated from another area. Having lived in this area for over 18 years and being a REALTOR for over 29 years, I am experienced, helpful, and able to advise you. Feel free to contact me to discuss further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jessica Bryan
M. Tony I would be glad to help you I would suggest that you should also consider a townhome also because of a few issues with condos unless you are paying cash. It is hard to get loans on condos. I can explain if you would like to understand the issue. If you like give me an email or a shout and I will get to where you want your budget and send you a number of places that give you that urban lifestyle in Chapel Hill.

Deborah Rigsbee Miller
Coldwell Banker Advantage
919-491-2826
There are a number of possibilities. Something in Southern Village, Meadowmont or East 54 is one possibility. Or, if you'd like to be within walking distance of Franklin Street, there are some other choices. Please contact me if you'd like for me to send you some listings.