Mirela Gluck, Home Buyer in Darien, CT

looking to buy in shohola

Asked by Mirela Gluck, Darien, CT Fri May 11, 2012

We found a house that we like, but the valuation provided by http://www.zillow.com is 100K less than what the seller is asking for. What is your experience with zillow, are their valuations? Are they a good source of information for negotiation? Is there a way to get comps in the area, my agent has only old information. Where can I find a list of the houses sold this year? There seem to be no activity in Shohola, should I be worried?

Answers

3
Shohola is not a friendly town unless you were born and raised here or have a friend in the Township office. The supervisor's are corrupt (just do a quick search) and so is the police department. Go ahead and buy here, but don't say you didn't get a warning when you dream crumbles around you in a year or two. Please take a look at the ordinances. They are very vague and written in ambiguous language allowing for abuse by friends of those in charge.
Dear Home Owner: Of course you are correct, but I am trying to sell my house to get the hell out of here and your comment is not helping the process. The township is SO corrupt that one of the supervisor's took many years to build his dream house and never once got a permit and never got in trouble for that.
Flag Sun Dec 29, 2013
Thanks, we decided against Shohola a month ago, and are currently looking in CT. Thanks for the info though, it made our decision look even better
Flag Fri Jul 6, 2012
Hi Mirela,
Zillow is not a place to rely on for comparables. I have lived in Shohola my whole life. A wonderful rural small town. A great place to live,raise a family or even retire. We are close to NY city that it can be a day trip yet not have the hustle of the city when we want quiet.If you have an agent she should be able to get you the sold homes in the area. Should you need an agent and not be in a business relationship with someone I would be glad to help you. my email is shir4@ptd.net
HI Mirela,
You can not rely on Zillow in our area at all. Each community is community specific and the comps you would want to look at would be comparables in that community. You should be able to get sold data from your agent. I am happy to help but if you have a buyers business relationship with your agent, you need to get the information from her or him. Good luck....Arlene
Thanks for the prompt answer, Arlene. I do have a relationship with my agent, and she also tells me that zillow is not a good reference but I have noticed that the houses who were priced more in line with the zillow got sold, and the others didn't. I agree with you, seller agents don't recommend their clients to pay attention to valuations, and that might be the reason why there are so few houses sold in the area. As far as the comps go, there are not enough houses recently sold for the comps to have statistical significance. The one similar house sold at the same price as zIllow valuation. So, I guess it has some significance after all............
Flag Fri May 11, 2012