Home Buying in Bastrop>Question Details

Scott Walker, Home Buyer in Bastrop, TX

looking for small unrestricted property to build a yurt

Asked by Scott Walker, Bastrop, TX Sat Jun 16, 2012

Answers

6
I have 2 lots just off Southshore that I will sell, and owner financen if needed. Jo Anne
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 16, 2012
How restricted is the south shore lots.. I want to build my own house but not a mansion..
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
I am a Buyer's Agent/Eco Broker. My husband and I have built alternative homes. Would be happy to help you find something.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2012
Thank you! Very educational...
Wikipedia says: A yurt is a portable, bent wood-framed dwelling structure traditionally used by Turkic nomads in the steppes of Central Asia. The structure comprises a crown or compression wheel (tüýnük) usually steam bent, supported by roof ribs which are bent down at the end where they meet the lattice wall (again steam bent). The top of the wall is prevented from spreading by means of a tension band which opposes the force of the roof ribs. The structure is usually covered by layers of fabric and sheep's wool felt for insulation and weatherproofing.
The similar Mongolic nomadic structure the ger is often wrongly referred to by westerners as a yurt but differs in that the heavier roof wheel (toono) is supported on posts and the roof ribs are straight rather than bending down at the wall junction. The wall lattice of a ger is constructed of straight pieces as opposed to the yurt's curved lattice

Cool! I want one!
What on earth is a "Yurt"??
Scott, since you contacted me directly this morning, I have sent you a number of properties that might be suitable for your yurt. Review those properties and give me a call.