Home Buying in San Ramon>Question Details

Ashok, Home Buyer in Fremont, CA

looking for a houses gale ranch - San Ramon, CA

Asked by Ashok, Fremont, CA Sun Jul 6, 2008

We are planning to buy a single family house in San Ramon under following category,

year build 2002 or later
bed room 3-4
sq feet 1800-2400
less or no HOA
1 or 2 floors
should come under good elementary schools
safe neighborhood

budget should be around $650000

is it possible to get in San Ramon? please advise.

Answers

16
Very much possible by the end of the year if not earlier.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 6, 2008
We just moved to San Ramon from India, having stayed there for 2 years. Prior to moving to India, we lived in Pleasanton for 4 years. Fremont before that, and Menlo Park/ Palo Alto for the longest. Our move was a choice that we had made, but then again chose to move back to the same area. I had job opportunities outside of CA as well, Dallas and other places, but we LOVE the east bay, the 680 corridor as we think of it. It is beautiful, schools are EXCELLENT( most all of them), there is a lot of ethnic diversity happening now, which helps our parents and infuses some competition in the schools( look at API scores, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville are in the low to mid 900s, which is only a shade less than Cupertino's scores). ALL neighborhoods in these area are safe( not talking abt Dublin). Given your work situation, u should consider Pleasanton. You might get newer homes as well with smaller yards, but the houses are typically older than San Ramon( but not as ols as the South Bay).Look at Country Fair, ponderosa builders( talk to John Rocha , he is good, knows and owns 30 properties in pleasanton!, but also a very nice and professional couple). We will be looking for a house in San Ramon, because I now work in Danville. Will be happy to help if needed.
Paloma is a community built by Lennar. All three plans are atleast 4 bedrooms and larger than 2500sq ft. If any plan in Paloma is offered for 750k (which I doubt Lennar will, at this point in time), I think it's a good deal.
It shall be 2800 sqft instead of 1800 sqft. Double check sqft number.

If it is 1800 sqft, $800k is way way over priced.

If it is 2800 sqft, $750k shall be reasonable priced. Get that price and add only necessary upgrade for $10k such as kitchen and bath. The final shall come around $760k.
i think it is named as paloma. sq ft is close to 1800, levels
What is sqft? What is lot size? Does it come with a view?
i donot know whether there are any houses for that price in windmere. can you please point out the builder or community name. what we saw was 800 for a 3 bhk by brookfield. that was the cheapest. he was ready to go to 750k + 60k upgrades. but not below than that.
Buy a larger one if price is reasonable. Anyway you have move so far for longer commute, why not award yourself for a better home.

I do not like Winderemere not Gale Ranch. Neither of them meet my personal taste. If I have to choose from them, I prefer Gale Ranch. However, most people like Winderemere. Winder has more parks and close to Middle and High school and their yard is generally bigger. Winder also has higher tax (1.5 to 1.7%) vs 1.3%. Some Gale home has HOA. Otherwise, no major different between them. Avoid power line area of Gale Ranch, house close to power line are hard to sale. API scores in Winder are better.

If you have any friends living there, better ask them.
Excellent suggestion Lenin.

may I know the pros and cons between Gale Ranch vs Windemere or near by places in terms of

1) Schools
2) house prices
3) anything other factors

what would be your suggestion for buying larger houses (>2500 sq feet) vs smaller houses (1800-2500 sq feet) if we can afford higher payments
Hi Ash:

There are many people here are on the same boat as you. Before you decide where to buy, do your own research. San Ramon shall be the best candidate to you. Pleasanton still too expensive. Dublin school and community not as good as San Ramon. I am now living in Dublin. I prefer San Ramon over Dublin. I will only buy in Dublin if price is at least 10% cheap comparing with San Ramon.

Most part of San Ramon shall satisfy your criteria. Spend some your weekends in San Ramon, drive around, get a feeling about San Ramon. Winderemere and Gale Ranch is only part of San Ramon. There are also many other area of city you may like. A house less than 20 years old is consider a new one. If it is build solid and taken good care of by previous owner, it shall be bring too much trouble to you.

Regarding pricing trend, Donald can give you more advice. We can not expect much appreciation in this market in near future. It is more important to protect yourself from unexpected depreciation. Do you rush to make purchase decision by impulse. Take you time, do your home work. You are a first time buyer, consult with your friend who has home purchase experience recently. Be careful for any agent who promise you a lot. If you do get a agent, ask for 2/3 commission rebate.

For $650k, now you can get a 1500-1800 single house in Winderemere. But it has higher tax. I think it is still overpriced now. I will never pay more than 650k, unless house sqft is over 2200sqft. It could be achievable by waiting a few more month.

Regarding commute, it is not so terrible if you can avoid peak hour. My office is in Santa Clara close to 237, it takes me on average 35min one way off peak time. Off peak time means after 9:00 am and 7:00 pm. There is one except, Friday afternoon, people drive to Tahoe for weekend vacation.
First my sincere Thanks to everybody who provided suggestions. At present I work at South Bay and my Wife works at peninsula. We have two children of 3 years and 5 months old. in south bay/fremont area buying a house in good school dist seems expensive

We are not particular on investment or value appreciation we rather want to enjoy the new home with our parents and children what we are looking are

1) Good and safe neighborhood
2) Good schools for our children (in near future)
3) best price (we wish house value should not come down, it may be same for few years or it may appreciate)
4) decent monthly payments for first time home buyer
5) pretty new house (maintenance will be less)

as a trade off we will commute or change our jobs at Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon area

Should I have to wait for some more time?
You might be able to locate a foreclosure with equity .... if you work positively in concert with your real estate agent I am assured you will have solutions to all of your questions resolved. Good luck http://www.lynn911.com
An interesting thread I found on zillow. Fun to read:

http://www.zillow.com/forum/site/ViewThread.htm?tid=36535#re…

I checked it on ING website, their rate appears great. If you need a mortgate, it could be a good choice. No wonder those brokers are so angry about it. Internet is killing them.
Hi Ash, Don:

This thread is still not tainted by those self claimed Pros. We can use this one to exchange ideas and recent market trends.

Ash, you now living in Santa Clara. So I suppose you also working in south bay. How do you prepare for long commute time if you move to San Ramon?

Don, what is your opinion on commute time?
Yes, $650k for a 2000sqft is reasonable, by the end of year.
Hi Ashok,
There are 6 homes which fall under your parameters. Three of them are in Gale Ranch and three are in Windemere. I have helped multiple clients in Windemere and Gale Ranch and my wife is a teacher in Windemere at Quail Run Elementary so I know the area very well. This is a great time to be looking because there is a good amount of inventory hitting the market. Have you considered looking into new? There is a community that I recently sold a new home in that is very close to your parameters also. If you get a chance to send me an email at ajcohen@apr.com I would be more than happy to set you up on an alert system so we can go over what is available and also what is coming through as well as discussing new home possibilities.
Have a great Sunday,
AJ Cohen
Alain Pinel Realtors
ajcohen@apr.com
925.819.2747