Mandujano123…, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

looking for a home < $140k in a safe central area. Will a new home in Centex's Woodland Hills retain its value? if we stay 5-10 years?

Asked by Mandujano123%40hotmail.com, Austin, TX Mon Jan 7, 2013

first home

Answers

8
Mandujano,
It is impossible to predict the future of home prices. In Austin however there is a shortage of homes right now. I see no reason to think the home values will drop. New homes have great advantages over older homes. The energy efficiency alone can make them a good value. I just advised and helped my daughter put a contract on a new build home.

I'd be happy to assist you too. As you agent I work for you but the seller pays my fees. Free is a pretty good price for professional guidance. The "sales associate" or "sellers agent" works in the interest of the seller NOT YOU. Their job is to get the seller the most money out of you as they can, that's all. No matter how nice they are and how big they smile at you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 7, 2013
Mandujano, with Austin growing at such a tremendous pace, there are always going to be new developments and new homes going up to compete with resale homes. However, Austin is ranked as the number one Boomtown/place to be in the United States by Forbes and many other reputable sources. We have made so many top 10 lists, I can't even keep track anymore.
This means that although there might be new homes to compete with, you will also have many buyers who cannot afford new homes, or would rather live in a more established neighborhood, or just prefer a certain location. Also, as the cost of materials keeps increasing year-by-year, brand-new homes with higher costs, stricter building codes, etc. etc., will make resale homes more affordable and desirable. Also, if you buy a house in an area that is not growing, with a more stagnant economy, or buy in an area that is less desirable, the house you buy today will not be worth as much as a house in a more desirable area in general. Therefore it is better to buy in an area that is growing and desirable versus one that is stagnant or on the decline.

However, if you are very concerned about that particular area, get in touch with me and I will be happy to discuss some other areas that might suit your needs and not have as much competition in the future. If I am your Realtor I would be happy to examine the long-term potential and pitfalls and advise you properly. Quite frankly you need to get a good Realtor to assist you and not rely on answers on a website to make such an important and large purchase. Also, not knowing you, your budget, or your long or short term goals or needs regarding a home, neighborhood, etc., it is really impossible to do much more than give you generalized information which again is not what you should be relying on to make such a big purchase decision. Feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to help you make the right decision!!

Joe Jarusinsky Realtor/Master Instructor Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012)
Call 512-261-4415
Hi Mandujano,

Congratulations on starting the search for your first home purchase. Centex homes is owned by Pulte, and is the largest builder in the US. Their homes are built well. The entire south part of Austin is experiencing tremendous growth and will continue. I believe it's a wise investment if you plan on staying a minimum of 5 years.

When working with a builder I would highly recommend using a REALTOR who will make sure you are getting the best value, building oversight, and upgrades available.

I have many years experience as a REALTOR, as well as home building and remodeling management. Please let me know if I can help you make a success decision!

Kimberley Cross
Resident Realty
512-994-7219
Thank you for your answers. My concern is that the distance from Austin, availabilty of open lots in the neighborhood, and lots of space between 183 and 130 to develop may encourage people to build rather than buy a home that is a few years older.
Hello, that is a really intelligent question! I reccomend working with a realtor that will provide you with the past sales data and trends for the neighborhoods that you are interested in. Generally speaking, real estate in Austin has appreciated in value over a 10 year span, some areas more than others. A realtor with an MBA, experience, and a passion for real estate will be your best ally in finding a home that will serve ypour housing and investment goals.

Evelyn Strong, MBA , Realtor
Stanberry & Associates
512.672.9000
Mandujano as some of my peers have already pointed out, the specified area is one that based on current market conditions should hold its value short and long term. I have been blessed to help clients with new home purchases and would welcome the opportunity to help you in your search if you are not being represented. Please do keep in mind as my peers have indicated the sellers represent the builders and their best interest not yours!!! Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an email if I can be of some help.

Thank you in advance for the time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.

Gabe Perales
512.961.2317
Peralesge@austin.rr.com
Mandujano, I believe the answer to your question is yes. Centex has a pretty good reputation and that area has been consistently appreciating year by year and should continue to do so for the next 5 to 10 years, assuming lenders keep tight restraints as they are now and do not overvalue the houses for loans. Of course there are other factors that can help or hurt an area that are unpredictable, but in general, that area of Austin should be a safe bet overall.

If you do not yet have a Buyer's Agent to represent you, please contact me as soon as possible as the sales agent on site represents the builder, NOT you and their job is to get the builder THE highest price possible. The buyers agents' commission is already built into the price as a marketing expense, and cannot be passed on to you as a lot of people mistakenly assume. I have worked for new homebuilders and I know this to be a fact. I have an excellent rapport with most of the new Home communities in Austin and can help you negotiate not only the price, upgrades, etc. on the home, but also help you with the financing and guide you through the process at no cost to you!

I would be happy to speak with you and I'm at my office today if you would like to give me a call at 512-261-4415.

Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky,
Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company

I would love the opportunity to be able to help you. First time home buyers are my specialty and I do most of my business in Central Austin. Please give me a call or shoot me an email so we can further discuss it.

Sal Zuniga
512-698-4800
Szuniga@gretx.com